Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help...Firefox won't let me download anything at bleepingcomputer

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 CubicR

CubicR

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:43 PM

Hello,

I've disabled everthing i can think of and added bleepingcomputer as an exception but still can't dowload anything at this site. 

I get the message bar at the top of the browser window that says "firefox didn't allow this site" message.  When I click the Allow button I get sent back to startpage for the download section.  drat.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:49 PM

First,  click on Help and choose Restart with Add-ons disabled. After restart of Firefox, try again to download.

Tell us what it is you are trying to download.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:53 PM

First of all - welcome to BC, and I am sorry to hear you are having problems using the site !

Can you download a file from any other web-site ?  Can you download from BC using any other browser, IE for example ?  If the answers to both these questions is 'No', the problem probably lies with your firewall settings or your anti-virus. Check the settings on both.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 CubicR

CubicR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:59 PM

Hello and thanks for the welcome.

I restarted with add ons disabled and the same thing happened.

I can download from other sites no problems.  I haven't tried using any other browsers.  I will check my firewall and anti virus, but I have never had to adjust those to do anything on any other site?

CubicR

Was trying to download RKill, but the same thing happens with other downloads as well.

#5 CubicR

CubicR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:06 PM

Checked my firewall/Antivirus program and it doesn't specify(allow/disallow websites) at the website level.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,203 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:06 PM

Try downloading MBAM and run a scan with it. Post the log of what it found and removed if successful.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free

Edited by buddy215, 20 September 2014 - 07:07 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 CubicR

CubicR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:22 PM

Ironically I ran MBAM just before I signed up for bleeping. ;)

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,203 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:26 PM

Open MBAM and look under the history tab. Post the log of what it found.

• The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can also be viewed by clicking the History tab and then selecting Application Logs.

#9 CubicR

CubicR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:32 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org

Update, 9/20/2014 4:42:07 PM, SYSTEM, TRIPR-PC, Manual, Rootkit Database, 2014.9.18.1, 2014.9.19.1,
Update, 9/20/2014 4:42:12 PM, SYSTEM, TRIPR-PC, Manual, Malware Database, 2014.9.18.8, 2014.9.20.8,

(end)

this is it

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,203 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:40 PM

I don't think so. Look again..... there should be a log showing where it scanned even if it found nothing.

As to Firefox...I think the last is Firefox 32.01. You can verify what edition you have by clicking on Help and clicking on About Firefox.

What symptoms if any are you having that would make you think there is malware or adware on your computer?

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,203 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:56 PM

What you posted was a Protection Log. I want to see the last Scan log which should be at the top of the list.

Application Logs

As part of normal program operation, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware produces two different logs. The Protection Log is a daily log which itemizes critical events of real-time protection, as well as updates to the Malwarebytes rules database. The Scan Log is a event log which shows program configuration and results of each scan that has been executed on the computer which Malwarebytes is installed on. The Application Logs program screen is shown below.

History_AL.png

#12 CubicR

CubicR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:58 PM

The assumption of malware or adware was on your part.  Sorry.

I just stated I couldn't download anything. 

#13 CubicR

CubicR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:01 PM

I checked MBAM again and all it had was a scan log from 9/4/14.  I can run another scan if you like.

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,203 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:09 PM

Did you check to see if you have the latest update to Firefox?

Rkill is used to unblock the use of security programs that malware is blocking.

Did you attempt to download using IE and if so were you successful?

Yes, run MBAM and post the scan log. It is a part of trouble shooting to find a solution for your problem.

#15 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,203 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:32 AM

Your settings in Windows can affect Firefox.

Windows Control Panel > Internet Options.

(1) Restore IE's Security Zone policy for the "Internet" zone to "Medium-High" security.

On the Security tab, make sure Internet is selected, then if the level is not set to Medium-High, click "Default Level". It should become Medium-High.

(2) Check the Restricted Site list.

On the Security tab, select Restricted Sites, then click the Sites button to make sure sites important to you are not listed there.

2013-11-26-19-39-35-9f7540.png

2013-11-26-19-39-42-48bb3c.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users