Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Context Menu + Customise System Tray

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Miguel_92

Miguel_92

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:18 PM

I have recently uninstalled a few programs on windows 8 and they are still there when i right click. How can i get rid of these programs? Also, how can i remove programs i no longer have from my system tray in the customise menu?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:28 PM

Also, how can i remove programs i no longer have from my system tray in the customise menu?

I don't understand the first part of your post but I can answer the 2nd part.  Please read and follow this article to remove icons for old programs from your System Tray.  Note, although the article refers to Windows 7 it works in Windows 8 and 8.1 too.

Edited by Agouti, 21 September 2014 - 09:29 AM.

#3 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

Basically when i click on a program/picture it has a huge list of programs i can view pictures on or play music with that i've deleted. And i was wondering if you could remove the programs in question from the right click.

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:57 PM

Use CCleaner and follow this article to delete unwanted entries from your Explorer Context Menu.

#5 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:55 PM

Hmm. It seems the programs i want to remove aren't there on CCleaner :unsure: . Where can i find the article on how to remove old notifications from the customise area of the system tray?

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:58 AM

My sincere apologies.  I forgot to post the link for removing old notification icons.  I have now corrected it in my above post but for your convenience it is:

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/02/09/remove-old-notification-icons-in-windows-7/

If you aren't seeing the context menu items you want to remove in CCleaner you could try FileMenu Tools portable.  Here's an article on using FileMenu Tools.

Context menu items can also be remove by editing the registry.  Here's an article on editing the registry.  If you choose to edit the registry make sure you back it up first or export the keys.

#7 Miguel_92

Miguel_92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 11:22 PM

Thank you very much for your help. I will try the context tool soon but i have now removed the registry keys and the notifications for old programs i no longer have are now gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users