Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with urlmon.dll, hitting a dead end!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AbelHagen

AbelHagen

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:41 PM

Hi guys,

I rarely reach out for help on forums like this when I have computer problems, since I mostly manage to fix it myself, but with this one, I'm hitting a dead and and I really need some help of guys who know more about it than I do.

A few weeks ago, I started getting error messages whenever I booted up my pc or when I tried to run a program. I don't think it happened after I installed something. It just kinda... appeared. I'm not sure what the English text is, but the error constantly says that there's a problem with C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/urlmon.dll. Roughly translated, it says that it's not suitable for Windows or that it contains an error. Error code 0xc000012f.

This thing causes a lot of stuff to become unusable. Here's the list of affected applications so far:

- A ton of Modern apps (Mail, IE, Calendar, etc)

- Flash player in Firefox

- Internet Explorer (desktop). Launches, but refuses to show anything other than a blank screen.

- OneDrive (both app and Explorer integration)

- Windows Update

- A lot of programs like uTorrent or VLC display the error message when launched, but run fine afterwards.

- A lot of other stuff I have forgotten about

Mostly, when I have a serious problem like this, I'd simply do a System Restore, but apparently, Windows needs the urlmon.dll file to do so. It keeps saying there are some files missing. My guess is that they're talking about urlmon.dll.

So in short, I have to fix urlmon.dll, but I can't do so by doing a Sytem Restore or Windows Update, because the system needs that file to do those things. I'm stuck in a loop here. Can one of you guys pinpoint what the exact problem is here, so I can fix it? I've been trying a lot of different stuff that's described here: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/urlmon-dll-not-found-missing-error.htm but nothing seems to be working so far.

Thanks a lot in advance. I really appreciate it! Please let me know if you need more information or context.

I'm running Windows 8.1 (64 bit) on a custom made desktop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:07 AM

Try uninstalling the KB2879017 update.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 AbelHagen

AbelHagen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:42 AM

I don't think I ever installed that update. These are the most recent ones.

CbyLE31.jpg

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:45 AM

You can type the KB number in the search field at the top to see if it is installed.

Gavin Seabrook

#5 AbelHagen

AbelHagen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:48 AM

Jep, I did. It's not. :(

#6 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:53 AM

Have you tried doing a system restore from the "Repair your Computer" mode?

Gavin Seabrook

#7 AbelHagen

AbelHagen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:33 AM

Language barrier isn't helping, but do you mean the setting in the Modern PC Settings app? Because when I try to do a system restore there, it says there are files missing (urlmon.dll, I guess).

UPDATE:

Fun stuff. I removed Office and the error message doesn't show up anymore when booting up to the desktop. It's still there everywhere else though. Maybe this is a small clue in the big mystery of the urlmon.dll.

Edited by AbelHagen, 21 September 2014 - 04:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users