Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has stopped working.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mkrl7

Mkrl7

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:06 PM

I've been using Malwarebytes for a very long time now, but recently when the database tries to update or trying to run a scan it says "Malwarebytes Anti-Malware has stopped working." I've tried uninstalling and then re-installing but it was no good. 

I'm running it on a Windows 7 64-bit machine. If you need anymore information I'll gladly provide it. I'm also having trouble with Windows Update but I suppose I'll start a new topic for that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:55 PM

Is this the free or paid version, knowing that might help. One thing i can suggest is uninstalling again but this time running 

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/122284-mbam-clean-removal-process/#entry644441

That little tool should get rid of every trace of malwarebytes from your system so you can stand a better chance of fulling wiping it from your system to give a "cleaner" environment on which to try reinstalling it. I would also suggest using another antivirus scanner to see if there is an infection on your system which is interfering with malwarebytes. Try using your current antivirus for a full scan, then EST online scanner, then kaspersky virus removal tool. Run those two with "prompt on detection" selected as the option NOT "remove threats automatically" just incase of false positives.

eset online scanner can be found on this site,  the kaspersky scanner is here   http://www.kaspersky.com/virus-scanner   and is called "kaspersky virus removal tool".

Edited by rp88, 20 September 2014 - 02:02 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 Mkrl7

Mkrl7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:58 PM

I do indeed have the paid version. And I ran the removal tool and it got rid of every trace of Malwarebytes. Now what?

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:20 PM

Try reinstalling malwarebytes, the instructions on the page where the removal tool was located describe how. If it doesn't work properly this time run those two scanners i mentioned, if it does you should probably run the scanners anyway just to be sure. 

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:09 PM

When you're having issues with Malwarebytes, one of the solutions generally suggested by the Help Desk to try first is to uninstall/reinstall as follows:
* How to fully Uninstall/Reinstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
* How to fully Uninstall/Reinstall Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - MBAM Clean Removal Process 1.75

-- If using the Premium version, you will need to reactivate Malwarebytes' using the license ID and key you were sent by email. Make sure you save that information so it is readily available when reinstalling.
-- Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab and check for updates if not done during installation.
-- Restart the computer again and verify that Malwarebytes is showing in the task tray if using the Premium version. Then setup any file exclusions that may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Mkrl7

Mkrl7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:26 PM

I uninstalled completely and then reinstalled but it won't let me update because once again I get the same message.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,576 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:28 PM

What to do: Runtime error - database stuck on 2014.03.04 - program 'stopped working' error

If that does not resolve the problem the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware development team recommend you start a new topic in the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Help Forum and report it there. Most likely they will need to see the net.conf file which is located in this folder: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\Configuration

Just zip that file and attach it in your new topic there.
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Mkrl7

Mkrl7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:55 PM

OK thank you for the help! I will try my luck on there website.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,576 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:04 PM

You're welcome.