Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

connecting 2 computers together and via the internet with a wireless router

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 batman1

batman1

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:39 PM

hi there

i have a hp compaq 6200 pro mt, i5 ,2.3mhz, 16gig ram

i am connected via adsl

it is a dlink 2750u wireless router

i am quite knoe to all this networking things but am trying...what i would like to know is it possible to connect 2 computers to the internet and to each other with only a wireless router? i do not see any wan or internet port at the back of the router. it is a 4 port wireless router with an ethernet port.i am using windows 7 64......how would i do this....thanks again for any replies.

Edited by batman1, 20 September 2014 - 01:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:40 PM

To get the computers to see each other, turn file sharing on on each computer and make sure the MultiAP isolation option is turned off on the router.

#3 batman1

batman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:01 PM

okies thanks. so basically i would just place the network cable from the one computer into lan1 port on the router and the second computer's network cable to lan2 port.... but how would i get the computers to get on the internet tho. as i only have a wireless router , no modems etc.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:08 PM

The router would connect to the Internet using a regular phone cable. Your Internet service provider would have to set that up.

If you have cable, you would have to connect the router to the cable modem.

In either case, you need to have Internet services already set up.

#5 batman1

batman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:23 AM

thanks for the reply..i just want to add that i already have my adsl internet connection setup with the isp and the ethernet port behind my router is connected to the network port behind my computer and that is how i get on to the internet.  i was just confused as i received a second computer and didnt know how that other computer would be connected with my computer and to the internet ,if i only had a wireless router........as i do know that switches are used or sometimes as i have read that you need to have a wan or internet port behind the router...........

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,191 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:28 AM

That's a little clearer. You could get a switch, connect the switch to the router, and then connect the computers to the switch.

If your computers don't have built-in WiFi, you can get a USB WiFi connector, plug that into the computer and connect that way as well.

#7 batman1

batman1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:56 AM

thanks alot for the replies much appreciated

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:29 PM

The phone line is connected to the red port on the back. Each computer plugs into a yellow port or they can connect to it wireless, if you have that set up. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users