Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

firefox facebook issues...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:16 AM

I have been using waterfox actually but, it is essentially firefox. 
Yesterday morning everything was working normally...  I went out bird watching with my oldest daughter... when I came back(my computer stays signed off, nobody messed with it) I was having trouble with facebook.  All the pages were having trouble loading.  Some I'd have to refresh over and over and they'd just sit there.  I was able to do some things but it took a long time.  VERY VERY laggy...  Like, I was ready to pull my hair out.
It was only facebook... no other sites were giving me trouble.
Today I tried IE and just navigated all the pages I could while not logged in.  NO problems.  Pages loaded normally.  So I went to firefox instead of waterfox and, still the same issue.
I started to go through some of my addons, disabling them.(shouldn't really have to for ONE website).  I don't know what happened, what changed yesterday that would cause this but, with firefox and waterfox, facebook is still not loading properly for me.
I wonder if I can view info on any addon updates or anything else that may have occurred when I went back online yesterday afternoon.  I mean, something, somewhere had to change right?
I am not going to use IE...  and for those ready to suggest it, I will not use Chrome either.  :)

I'm scratching my head wondering what happened.....   I don't understand how all these other sites are working just fine and facebook is giving me such issues...  and only on the browser(s) I want to use.  :/
hmmm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:47 PM

May know the culprit... or at least, can narrow it down for anyone that might have thoughts... anyone?

So, I'll restate......
Facebook wont load half the time and when it does, it hangs and doesn't load completely...
This happens for firefox and waterfox, but didn't seem to happen in IE... 
Checked this afternoon and this was on my computer as well as a laptop in the house...

Well, that laptop is with my wife in another town right now and, while I'm still having the facebook issues, she is not. 
So...  Just firefox browsers, just this house, just facebook......... ODD... 
What I'm about to explain and suggest wouldn't make sense to me unless it was IE as well.......  but, here it goes...

Not too long ago, I switched the DNS that my router was using.  I had been having intermittent trouble with ONE particular facebook game.  It was decided that my ISPs DNS was causing the problem with the servers for that facebook game.  I switched the DNS settings to use Comodo's...  (someone suggested google's but, I do NOT trust google... ha)
Anyway... switching the DNS to comodo's settings fixed the game errors immediately and I've had no issues with it since...  (well, except for when I try to visit a local news station, comodo's dns thing would say that news site was linked to yadda yadda yadda, and I had to make temporary exceptions... )
Anyway.....
Could this be a DNS issue?  I mean, Both computers had the issue here but now that one is in another location, it's not a problem there.
So... the problem(one way or another) has to be here.
I guess I can go log into the router and change it back to the ISPs DNS and see what happens...... 

Edit:  I just went in to the settings and, where there are two numbers, I just swapped them around...  Put the secondary as the first one...
Immediately, 10  times better.  The pages aren't loading SUPER fast, but they're loading... 
interesting...
Edit: scratch that...  back to not working... 

Edited by millipede, 20 September 2014 - 09:42 PM.

#3 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:32 AM

If you really think it's a DNS issue, try Goole's DNS servers temporarily for testing

or try OpenDNS's servers. Fast and reliable. I use them with zero issues

Edited by PanickyD, 21 September 2014 - 12:32 AM.

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#4 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:08 PM

Thanks...  I'll keep those in mind.  It's odd but, that was the problem for just one game for me before...  And this morning I went ahead and just switched it back to allowing my ISP to decide... right away, everything seems to be loading fine. 
If it goes back to causing me issues with that one game or anything else, I'll keep the OpenDNS in mind.  :)

Edit: Didn't take long for the issue with the game to come up after allowing my isp to set the DNS settings.  :/

So......  I decided to go look at the open dns...  when I went to visit their website, avast quickly told me that it just prevented a virus from being installed from their site.
:/

I hate computers... have I ever mentioned that?  HA
:/

Edited by millipede, 21 September 2014 - 02:13 PM.

#5 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:52 PM

www.opendns.com is a 100% safe site. If your AV stopped a virus from them, you likely got redirected, meaning you probably have an infection in your computer. It might be best if you ask an administrator to move your post to the appropriate virus/adware/malware forum.

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#6 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:14 PM

Thanks, but no.  I can get "more info" from avast and it mentions that website directly.
I went and searched it and found a bunch of people getting warnings from avast and AVG about that site.
In one conversation someone, maybe someone for openDNS, mentioned that AVG was giving false positives or something and they were working on it.
Currently that website wont even load for me...  either my dns is blocking it or it's down for some reason.
Who knows.  I'll look into it more though.

Edit:  I switched to the openDNS for now...  their website still wont load for me...
And...  tvguide is blocked?  openDNS wont let me visit tvguide.com... where I normally view what's on tv.
Why are these things to picky and frustrating?  :/

Edited by millipede, 22 September 2014 - 12:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users