Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting a static IP address on the network...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mjl1297

mjl1297

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

I'm using a Motorola Surfboard SBG6580 as my modem/router. I have a wireless network generated from a TEW-637AP that is repeated on the other side of my house by an Amped Wireless SR300. The SR300 has its own SSID and IP. I have a printer and a laptop that regularly connect to the SR300's network and I would like to be able to set static IP addresses for them both and I was wondering what is the simplest way to go about doing this? The laptop is an Acer and the printer is a Brother HL-2270DW.

Based on what I've read there are a few different ways to do this and I want to choose the one that is the least beset by complication. Many thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 20 September 2014 - 10:29 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:37 AM

Hi,

The simple way is to find what device is acting as DHCP server in your network and check if the DHCP configuration allow you to associate a fixed IP to the device, this way you don't need to do any changes on the clients when you need to connect to other wireless networks.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 08:06 AM

As long as the address is on the same network you can just give it an address. Go into the properties of the wireless connection you are using, the IPv4 properties, click on Use the Following address and enter the information. 

If your DHCP hands out 192.168.1.x just make the X a number that is not being used. Most routers out of the box start DHCP assignments at a number other than the lowest they can I think Linksys starts at 192.168.1.100 and hand out addresses above that but the range is from 192.168.1.1 -  254 provided you don't mess with the subnet mask. so any address not in use that is in that range will work.

The printer should have a static IP just in case something happens and it gets assigned a different IP then you have set in the PCs so you don't have to go fix each PC. The computer is either way is fine.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:38 AM

What SleepyDude is referring to is called ip reservations.  This is where you associated the mac address of the device with the dhcp address you want it to have.  You can do this IF your routers dhcp server supports it.

Otherwise you have to do make sure you statically assign ips that are not in the dhcp scope or you will cause a ip conflict.

#5 mjl1297

mjl1297
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:22 PM

I heard back from Brother tech and set the static IP through one of their utilities.

Thanks for your help.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,407 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:37 PM

The issues you normally see when you set the static IP on the device, instead of through the DHCP server, is the IP changes after a power loss or a duplicate IP address.  The duplicate IP address is more likely if the static IP address you set is within the DHCP range.

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 03:29 AM

I heard back from Brother tech and set the static IP through one of their utilities.

Thanks for your help.

Don't forget to remove the static IP if you want to connect to a different wireless network.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#8 Ivy74

Ivy74

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:40 AM

Or just use a static outside the range. Hence why I never make a range from 2 to 254. 

***Note***

My job has blocked Europe by the firewall which means I can't access this site from the office anymore. So I will barely be here if at all. In case you cared.  :smash:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users