Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antimalware Service Executable 100% disk usage

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AngryHan

AngryHan

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:20 AM

Every time I launch a large application such as a game, I see Antimalware Service Executable eat up 100% of my disk usage (between 10-50 MB/s). This grinds my computer to a halt and the game doesn't launch for about 10 minutes.

Any idea why it does this and how I can stop it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:09 AM

In the link below you will read all about the problem you are experiencing and advice on how to fix it. I've copied what

I think is possibly the best solution but if you upgraded from Windows 7 then you will need to read further.

Can one prevent Antimalware Executable to start hogging CPU for - Microsoft Community

QUOTE:

You can disable the scheduled scan task by right-clicking and selecting “Disable”, but that won’t stop the other Automatic Maintenance tasks from running shortly after startup; so what you should do is reschedule Automatic Maintenance for a time when the PC will be on but not in use (by clicking on the “Change maintenance settings” link in the Action Center) and see if that makes any difference.

Since Automatic Maintenance runs strictly on idle-time in its default mode, and stops almost immediately with any user activity, it shouldn’t be causing a problem like this – while on the other hand, the excessive CPU utilization would make perfect sense if you had upgraded without uninstalling MSE, or if the old Windows Defender service somehow wasn’t disabled with the upgrade. But I can’t really tell what’s going on there, because you appear to have leftover scheduled scan tasks from both of those programs.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 AngryHan

AngryHan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:19 AM

Hm well it turned out to be because of a new game I got, that triggered what I described when I tried to run it. Adding it to the exclusions list fixed it.

#4 MamaBear2015

MamaBear2015

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:45 PM

I'm having this problem now too, with Windows 8.1. I read that link and tried changing the settings. It helped some but not all the way.  My main concern is hd longevity if this keeps up.

I found out what it is. I found another thread saying to disable real time protection in Defender. I did and the hd thrashing stopped!

So now, how can I enable real time protection in Defender ( a good thing? ) without it thrashing the hd with 100% spikes all the time?

Edited by MamaBear2015, 19 July 2017 - 03:28 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:20 AM

Are you running Malwarebytes 3. or the 2.2 version?  If this is the 3. version you can run it as your antivirus.  The quote below is Malwarebytes description of the Malwarebytes 3.

Malwarebytes 3 is a next-generation antivirus replacement. Malwarebytes 3 is the first of its kind for home users, employing four independent technology modules—anti-malware, anti-ransomware, anti-exploit, and malicious website protection—to block and remove both known and unknown threats.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 MamaBear2015

MamaBear2015

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:28 PM

Are you running Malwarebytes 3. or the 2.2 version?  If this is the 3. version you can run it as your antivirus.  The quote below is Malwarebytes description of the Malwarebytes 3.

Malwarebytes 3 is a next-generation antivirus replacement. Malwarebytes 3 is the first of its kind for home users, employing four independent technology modules—anti-malware, anti-ransomware, anti-exploit, and malicious website protection—to block and remove both known and unknown threats.

I am running 3.1.2 and somehow with MWB support help, we got this fixed, and it's playing nice with Defender now. I was told in another forum, that they each find various things, and neither one is perfect by itself. Is that true?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:46 PM

These are called false positives.  Malwarebytes 3 is new enough that it isn't surprising to see this.  If you are concerned and wish to check this against another program you could run Emsisoft Emergency Kit

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users