Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 SamB2011

SamB2011

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:41 AM

Hi there. I've been having issues with Windows Update for over months now after realizing there was a problem, but Windows Update is still failing to update my system. I have tried every applicable solution I have found online but to no avail. Whenever I try to fix the problem, Windows Update encounters a new error. Currently, I'm getting the error code 80072F8F. I have already tried the solutions concerning fixing my system time, but it doesn't seem to be helping.
I also noticed that I have missing Windows Update DLL files, but I can't find any solution to the specific files I am missing.
Also, I have trouble using Microsft Fix It Tools. I'm not sure if that's because of my proxy server authentication settings.

I need help!
I am using An Acer Aspire 5732Z, Windows 7 Home Basic, 64-bit. I'm using Avira, MBAM, and AdwCleaner.
I'd attach an sfc.txt but I'm having problems with that as well. The command prompt keeps telling me "FINDSTR: Argument missing after c/"
If anyone could help me, I'd greatly appreciate it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:21 AM

Please post what you have tried so we don't make suggestions which you have already tried.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 SamB2011

SamB2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:37 AM

Please post what you have tried so we don't make suggestions which you have already tried.

Hi. Thanks for replying.
Over two months ago I used Tweaking Windows Repair (All in One). I forget where I found this suggestion since it was a long time ago (in my mind). Windows Update still did not work, however. Since my laptop was still working anyway and I was frustrated by all the failed updates, I left it alone until about a few days ago.
I have tried changing my antivirus from AVG to Avira, since AVG seemed to have problems with my firewall settings. I have tried re-running Tweakings again. Both Avira and MBAM say my laptop is clean. I have tried Microsft Fix It Tool 50123 for troubleshooting, however it encountered an unexpected error after installing (Code 2738). To counter that I tried installing the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7 x64-based Systems (KB947821), as suggested in Microsoft Support. However, whenever I try to install it, it always stops at "initializing", no matter how many hours have passed.
Frustrated, once more, I tried manually resetting my Windows Update components (I chose to do this manually after the automatic reset offered by th Fix It Tool failed me as well). While doing this I found that some DLL files were missing, specifically these DLL files:
mshtml
shdocvw
browseui
msxml
actxprxy
gpkcsp
sccbase
slbcsp
initpki
wuaueng1
wucltui
wuweb
qmgr
muweb

I pushed forward anyway. Microsoft Support listed installing the Windows Update Agent after resetting my Windows Update components. However, it did not go past the initializing stage once more. I tried opening Windows Update anyway and found that it was working! I first installed the oldest update needed (dated 2011) and worked my way up until 2012. I installed these updates by date going from oldest to most recent. When I got to 2013 updates, however, 4 updates failed, citing authentication errors as the cause. I rebooted and tried to download those four updates once more, but this time Windows Update would always stay at 0% downloading. As suggested in the Microsoft Support site, I clicked on "Check for Updates" so that I can type in my authentication credentials, but this time Windows Update could not check for new updates, citing some new error (I remember 80080005 and 8002EE2), but I did as Microsoft Support suggested with that error. With every suggestion however, I end up with a new error, until I finally got stuck with 80072F8F. When I checked "Installed Updates", only 14 are listed instead of the 50+ I should already have had.

I have tried resetting my Windows Update components again, hoping that I might get back to a working Windows Update but to no avail. I'm still stuck with error 80072F8F even though my date and time is right and is synced with time.windows.com

I don't remember all the specific things I did so I'm not sure if what I wrote helps. I hope it does.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:56 AM

Have you tried the Windows Update Troubleshooter?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 SamB2011

SamB2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:52 PM

Have you tried the Windows Update Troubleshooter?

Sorry for the wait, I did try it. I tried to once more on your suggestion, but got the error 80070057. I tried resetting Windows Update components as suggested by Microsoft  Support when getting said error as well as a clean boot, but Windows Update still hits the 80072F8F error.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:38 PM

If the problem is being caused by a Service or a Startup item a clean boot can be used to find it.  But I would be surprised if either of these would cause this problem.

Please list the specific fixes you have tried, and list the error codes you've received.  I know this is a lot to ask, but it seems that the information you provided upon request isn't complete as you hadn't mentioned trying the update troubleshooter.

No problem with the wait, I'm bucking up firewood.  So I'm in and out today.

#7 SamB2011

SamB2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:33 PM

I have installed Microsoft Fix It 50632 but frankly don't know what to do with it. It only leads me back to Microsoft Support.
I downloaded the Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Services Diagnostic. After finishing troubleshooting, it detected problems with my connections to URLs used in SDP Service. I'm unsure how to go about this as well.
I also downloaded Microsoft Fix It 50202, however I could not install it as the "installer has encountered an unexpected error installing the package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2738."
I tried installing the Windows Update Standalone Installer, however whenever I try installing it, "Installing Hotfix for Windows (KB947821) (update 1 of 1)" never really starts installing. I have tried leaving it running for an hour or so, but with no progress. I always end up cancelling it.
I downloaded the Windows Update Troubleshooting Wizard. After troubleshooting, the program was able to fix missing/corrupt service registration and problems installing recent updates. However it was not able to fix Windows error 80070057. Whenever I run this though, it always reports having fixed missing/corrupt service registration and problems installing updates, so I'm not sure how effective this tool actually is.
I have tried downloading a few Microsoft Fix It Tools .exe applications you can download from the Microsoft Support site--I cannot specify which ones anymore, unfortunately--but when I try to run these applications, all of these "cannot continue because an error has occurred" with the Code error 8004FE33. Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Services Diagnostic says it detected problems with my connections to URLs used in SDP Service.
I have also downloaded Microsoft Fix It 50123 and it also "encountered an unexpected error installing the package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2738."
I also downloaded Proxycap thinking that the proxy server I am using might have something to do with failed updates, but I was not really sure about it at all. I was mostly just trying to fix this problem with whatever came to mind (which probably isn't a good idea).
Avira and my Windows Firewall have also been disabled while I tried updating. I've also set Windows Firewall to default settings to help fix the url problem, but that hasn't done anything, I think.
While we're at it, I'm fond of using CCleaner to clean up my registry and whatnot. I've read somewhere that this might not be a good thing. Might this have anything to do with the problem?
I apologize for not being more specific earlier. I hope this clarifies the problem.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:42 AM

What I had requested was for you to list the fixes you have attempted and then a list of the errors you have received.

Once again you have posted a rambling dialogue of what you have gone through.  I don't have the time to sift through this to collect the requested information.  Please make two lists.  One listing the fixes you have attempted, and second to list the errors you have received.

I'm willing to help you, but you need to help make it easier for me to do this.

#9 SamB2011

SamB2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:15 PM

Sorry about that. Here you go

Fixes:
- Microsoft Fix It 50632
- Microsoft Automated Troubleshooting Services Diagnostic
- Microsoft Fix It 50202
- Windows Update Standalone Installer
- Windows Update Troubleshooting Wizard
- various Microsoft Fix It Tools .exe applications
- Microsoft Fix It 50123
- disabled Avira and my Windows Firewall while updating
- set Windows Firewall to default settings to help fix the url problem

Errors / problems:
- Microsoft 50632 doesn't do anything
- problems with connections to URLs used in SDP Service
- error code is 2738 for Microsoft Fix It 50202
- Windows Update Standalone Installer never begins installation
- was not able to fix Windows error 80070057
- Code error 8004FE33 for any Microsoft Fix It Tools .exe file
- error code is 2738 for Microsoft Fix It 50123

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:17 PM

Thank you!

This will take some time to go through.  I'll get back later.

#11 SamB2011

SamB2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:20 PM

Alright. Thank you so much for your time and for helping!

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:24 PM

Go to Microsoft Support and scroll down to Windows 7 sections and download the version for your computer.

#13 Go The Power

Go The Power

• Members
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 04:58 AM

Hello,

SFC /SCANNOW

• Click on the Win7Orb_zps4dae3b32.jpg button. Inside the search box type in CMD
  • Right click on CMD => Choose Run as Administrator
  • Inside the Command Prompt windows copy and paste the following command SFC /SCANNOW
  • Please wait for this to Finish before continuing with the rest of the steps.

Convert CBS.log to CBS.txt

• Click on the Win7Orb_zps4dae3b32.jpg button => Inside the search box copy and paste the following command:
    cmd /c copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"
  • Press Enter
  • Once this has completed please go to your Desktop and you will find CBS.txt => Please upload CBS.txt to this thread

Please Note:: if the file is too big to upload to you next post please upload via Dropbox or ge.tt

#14 SamB2011

SamB2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:44 PM

Go to Microsoft Support and scroll down to Windows 7 sections and download the version for your computer.

Finally finished installing the SUR tool after leaving it overnight. Was able to install all Windows Updates save for one:

Windows Update could not install KBS2547666 because of Error 8024200d.

Thank you so much for your guidance with this though. I didn't think so much would be solved that simply. If you could help me with that one last update, I would really appreciate it!

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:36 PM

See the Windows Automatic Troubleshooter will resolve this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users