Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lots of noise & then would not start???????

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 newbleeping

newbleeping

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:56 AM

Hi Everyone,...

I think it is time to call a computer repair person??????Perhaps you can tell me if that is what I need to do.....I have a HP Compaq Desktop with Pentium 5.....I was just ready to log off & shut her down & suddenly it was making this very loud noise ,like an old fashioned can opener......I shut it down & it seemed to have difficulty shutting down & then I tried to start it up again & it showed that black screen that says choose one option by hitting "enter" to start because it is having a problem .................I did what it said & a pop up thing said that it was not starting & it was trying to find the problem & asked if I wanted it to =restore itself so I said yes......& then it started ,no noise?    I shut it down & when I started it again,same thing ,only this time it said it could not find the problem & it searched & searched & searched for maybe 15 minutes...it said it could not fix itself ,I clicked on "advanced options"then restart & I am back on?

I figured it is best to ask you all this question now before I shut it down & may not be able to get back on.....what should I do?                                                                         Thank you ,Kwik

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:33 PM

Hi,

I don't think there's any question about the fact that you do have a problem. The question will be how comfortable are you with trying to run some tests and digging into the hardware to make the necessary repairs. If you don't want to open the box then it's time to take it to a trustworthy technician who will open it and fix it.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:40 PM

Hi Kwik, long time no speak !

I can only think of two things that could make a noise like an old fashioned can-opener inside a computer. One is a fan going haywire. In a computer like yours there are usually only two - one on the CPU and the other inside the power supply. If you take the side panel off you will see the fan on the CPU. Give it a waggle with your finger - make sure the computer is powered off first ! - and if there is any sensation of a wobble or if it is loose it is time for a new one. They are easy to change and basic ones are not expensive. If this involves taking the heatsink off the CPU, you will also need a tube of thermal paste (heatsink compound) before you replace it. Clean the two faces thoroughly and apply a thin, even smear of paste before you put the two back together again.

The other fan is inside the power supply unit and is not normally replaceable. If it is that one making noises, it's a new PSU. Again, basic ones are not too expensive.

The other thing that can make noises is a dying / dead hard drive, and this is rather more serious. The first question to ask is 'Are your back-ups up to date?'. If they are, then this becomes merely a serious nuisance rather than a crisis. If they are up to date, then it is a matter of buying a new hard drive, swapping it for the old one (take both side panels of the computer and four cross-head screws most commonly), pull out the old, put in the new, four screws, re-connect cables, side panels on, and re-install your operating system, applications and finally replace your data. As I said, a time consuming nuisance but no more than that.

If your back-ups are not up to date, then the first thing you need to do is try to salvage your data off the hard drive. Since the computer is running again back up all your data as an urgent first priority. Depending on how much you have you will need a USB memory stick, a small pile of DVDs or an external hard drive, but BACK UP YOUR DATA ! Then you can run tests to find out exactly what is the problem !

But back up your data first, then post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:08 PM

Dicke ,,,thank you for your reply & you know what?I am not real comfortable with digging in to make the necessary repairs because I have thought about what the cost of repairs & such would be in comparison to my purchase price of the comp0uter & it does not 'compute"-lol

Best Regards,Kwik

BC is the best!!  An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!Greetings & Blessings from the Sunshine State                                                                .Kwik :love4u: ....aka "newbleeping"

#5 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:31 PM

Hey Chris!!!!!

Sure has been a while & it is real good to hear from you !!!!!! As I was saying Chris,to Dicke,it just did not make sense to put good money into a refurbished computer in repairs(Perhaps you could guide me & I could follow your instruction)but would I really be sure of the problem?Oh,surely your hands would know but I doubt mine would & I would just be changing parts in hopes of fixing the problem...................................plus-lol,the fact I have never seen the inside of a computer!!!!I really have a hunch it is a dying hard drive,,,,,my computer did its own diagnostic & said it was hard drive(or maybe hard ware???hmmm) Anyway,I called some repair places & just felt like I was going to get ripped & finally I called a USAComputer store & they had a very good priced 'refurbished" replacement & they will transfer all my files over & do "back ups" for me and for $20 I get a year warranty,that can be extended.............SOLD!!!!!

Chris,you already know I think your'e a genius,for you "Eh,,,swap out this & that ",re-install your OS" & "replace data"......for me...."huh?"

I do appreciate your help(as always)......but for me this seems like the simplest,quickest & least expensive route.They can also tell me whats wrong with this one & maybe I will have a back up computer?Or not,,,lol

So,I will feel really good if you say,,,,,good decision(for me & my position)         Have a great evening & thanks again

Best Regards,Kwik    

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:41 PM

Kwik,

I agree with your decision. When you get the new computer please do make regular backups, if you store anything that you 'REALLY' don't want to lose.

We'll be here when you need us. Til then

Stay well and surf safe

Dick

Dick E

#7 newbleeping

newbleeping
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:55 PM

Dicke.............

Thank you so much for taking the time to let me know that you think it was a wise choice for me......I truly have no clue how to back up my data so when I get the new one set up,probably Tuesday I will be back for some more "help guys!!!"Y'all have always been so wonderful & a wealth of information............you can ask Chris,a year ago I could barely navigate a mouse-lol     It was the first time I ever sat behind a computer,did not even know what"right click" meant!

If it were not for the great folks at BC,encouraging me & helping me ,I would have just thrown in the towel & said"computers are not for me"         Here I am today because I did not want to go a day without it!!!!!WOW!

So I truly appreciate your kindness & concern and I know where to come,I am a loyal BC fan!!!!

Best Regards,Kwik

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:43 PM

Kwik,

You are most welcome. Like Chris, I come here to learn and to pay both back and forward. I too have received help and encouragement here. So it only seems right to do the best I can to make sure that others get the same help and encouragement that I received.

When you're ready we can talk about backups and security and anything else you feel the need to know so you can get the most from your system.

Remember that it's really a very dumb machine. In fact the only operation it can perform is the addition of ones and zeros. [we won't start that discussion yet] :)

So til next time

Stay well and surf safe

Dick

Edited by dicke, 20 September 2014 - 10:43 PM.

Dick E

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:06 PM

I agree - it is probably time for a replacement. With a Pentium 5 that has to be a reasonably old computer. But do backup your data while this one is still running - if it gives up the ghost it may be too late for any reasonably cheap solution.

By data I don't just mean the obvious things like work, photos, music and so on but the things that we all tend to forget - browser bookmarks, contact lists, install codes for downloaded software you have bought. That sort of thing. It makes life so much easier when setting up a new computer !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users