Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS update - RAID0 no longer boot option?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HagbardCeline

HagbardCeline

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:08 AM

I had been having some intermittent freezing issues, even with a clean Windows 7 boot.  My system has had a 1TB RAID0 stripe as it's main drive for a few years.  (2 x 500gb).  My BIOS were four years out of date, so I went ahead and flashed to the new version.  BIOS flash was successful, new version was indicated on POST.  My MOBO is an ASUS P5K-E/Wi-Fi, btw. 

On reboot, the boot drive was not found.  I entered the BIOS and fixed the SATA configuration so it was set to RAID.  I went to the section with the BOOT order, and attempted to select the RAID as the first option, but it was not there. (Only floppy drive and CD ROM).  I figured that since I had just enabled the RAID I probably needed to just reboot again. 

On reboot, the RAID status popped up.  It listed my two drives, indicated a RAID 0 Stripe and said "Bootable: Yes"   I re-entered the BIOS to make sure that the RAID was the top BOOT option, however once again it was *not listed* in the list of Boot drives!  Also in the BOOT section of the BIOS there is a tab that says "Hard Drives"  The RAID0 *was* listed in that list.  However I can find no way to get it to appear in the list of BOOT drives. 

Is there possibly anything I could be doing wrong here?  Some BIOS setting that I've missed?   I have lurked on this site for years, and have often found solutions to my wacky problems. 

HB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:19 AM

You probably need to reload the RAID controller since you flashed the BIOS. And, IIRC, since you're using BIOS based RAID software, you may have to reload the OS as well.

#3 HagbardCeline

HagbardCeline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:25 AM

Well, as it often is with these things, 20 seconds after posting, I sit back down and take another shot and figure it out. 

The list of Hard Drives in the BOOT tab of the BIOS was not merely a list, it was a priority order.  Once I moved the RAID0 to the first position, it then showed up in the BOOT priority list as well.  I think this is an extra setting that wasn't in the previous version of the BIOS.  Luckily my RAID0 was intact and my computer booted fine. 

I use a RAID0 but keep all important files on external drives so I was never really at any risk of painful data loss, but I hated being stumped by something like this.  Thanks for the reply!

HB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users