Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely weird sudden, instant restart issue not caused by heat?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 obombration

obombration

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:16 AM

So I use a desktop computer and the way the tower is designed, there are small holes on the top - one of those CyberPower towers; anyway, today when I was taking the VGA from my monitor to put it on my tv as i always do for viewing there, I knocked a bottle of water I had forgot even had water in it that was open over and a SMALL BIT fell right into the desktop through those holes.

Now, I didn't see any sparks or any of that weird stuff; when I first turned the PC on afterwards as I shut it off right when it happened, it wouldn't display anything..at all. It was booting, as I heard the little ring sound for the windows login screen, but no display. Black.

Left it for 40 minutes or so untouched, booted just fine then; used the computer for an hour or so, all I did was listen to some music on youtube. Everything worked fine.

Suddenly, the screen goes black and the computer repeatedly restarts itself - everytime it hits the point after the boot screen for the login screen, it goes black..like it did at first. I left it off for a couple of minutes, boot it and it, yet again, boots up just fine - and then, after a couple of minutes, it yet again does it.

Now it's off and I'm leaving it that way until I find some help. Seems like the longer I leave it off, the longer it stays on. What did that water do? Burn a censor or something? I checked the temps when I managed to get on the second time and everything seemed fine, even up till the sudden restart. Opened the PC up, fans are running fine and everything when it does manage to boot properly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:42 PM

Welcome,

It will take several hours for the water to dry out. Running the computer with wet components is asking for serious trouble. I'd recommend opening the case and with all power disconnected let a fan blow on it to dry things out - maybe for a full day. Then, if I didn't see any physical damage I would restart and listen carefully for anything that didn't sound normal. Same goes for watching the screen. If strange /different things are seen / heard it may take a technician's eyes on it to identify the problem(s) and get them fixed.

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users