Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor goes black randomly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HerculesFury

HerculesFury

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:03 AM

So I have an acer x223w monitor. I've had it for about 3 years but about a year ago it blacked out on me out of nowhere. Now every time I try to use the monitor, it goes black after about 7-8 minutes. The power light stays blue indicating it is still receiving signal, yet nothing shows up. I can turn the monitor off and back on and the background will show for about half a second then it goes black again. I can leave it sitting for about an hour, turn it back on and it'll stay on about 7-8 minutes again and then it does the same thing. I've tried it on two separate computers with 3 separate cords trying both dvi and vga

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HerculesFury

HerculesFury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:08 AM

My apologies, I hit post on my phone. Continuing...I've tried both vga and dvi on two separate operating systems. Windows 7 64-bit and windows vista 32-bit. I've updated graphic card drivers all the way around, and still can't figure it out. I've got another monitor that works perfectly fine with all 3 cords on both computers so I'm positive it's the monitor, I just don't know what it is. Thanks!

#3 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:15 AM

Ok, so you've troubleshot it down to the monitor, then replace it.

If you wish to take it apart and tinker with it, go ahead. There might be something loose that fiddling with it will fix. But if you wish to actually find out what part is failing, then you will need another monitor to troubleshoot with. Have fun.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,450 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:16 AM

The symptom you're describing is most commonly a backlight lamp fault or inverter/power supply circuit board. That model has been reported with electrolytic capacitor problems, which is also a possibility and could cause that symptom. A user documents his experience with a different looking symptom here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqvh2uDHl98

Note that the verbal reference to LEDs is wrong, the unit uses CCFL lamps. Some possibilities for your fault include poor/fractured solder joints on the power supply/inverter board (the larger PCB), overheating component(s) or bad contact where the CCFL lamp leads plug in. It's also possible that one of the CCFL lamps could be running hard and shutting off the inverter on overcurrent sensing. If this is the cause, you can sometimes see an area of uneven brightness in the backlighting, or a flutter in the illumination just before it cuts off.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 HerculesFury

HerculesFury
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:51 AM

Thanks for the help guys! @elfbane I have another monitor I'm using now, could I use it to do some troubleshooting or do I need another monitor of the same type?

Platypus, would it be possible for me to buy replacement parts abd fix it myself? I'm pretty handy when it comes to tinkering with technology though I must admit I'm new to monitors. I don't know what a ccfl bulb is or looks like. I understand fully what you're saying but the terms and placement have me a bit confused. There is a large motherboard, I'm just not sure where to look for faults, as well as other places.

#6 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:12 AM

I would use a monitor of the same type. It's possible (even probable) that some parts may be interchangeable between different models by the same maker, but check part #s first.

I've never done teardown on a monitor (after they became inexpensive), but I guess you could order parts. Look up your monitor on the maker's website and see if you can find a teardown.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,450 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:04 AM

It's feasible to replace minor components such as electrolytic capacitors if that is the cause of the problem. The CCFL backlight lamps are built into the LCD panel, and even though it is technically possible to replace them, it's not intended that you would, and generally not worth the effort for a budget monitor. The video I linked gives quite a reasonable teardown illustration.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users