Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD while shutting down + permanent screen tearing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RWalerczak

RWalerczak

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:46 PM

Hey guys,

I recently (about 4-7 weeks ago) started having this problem after tinkering with the hardware and software. Because of my schedule I was unable to pay it much attention till recently, and I've been trying to figure it out. I found a thread very similar to this one where it asked OP to take the last 5 .dmp files from the windows minidump folder and upload.

URL - https://app.box.com/s/cqqmwm9g41odjg25mwsl

More details: The BSOD occurs every time I shut down EXCEPT for when in safe mode.
The screen tearing is permanent, though hard to see when not in-game or watching a video. It is most visible on black backgrounds.

When I was tinkering with it I remember doing the following: I added a liquid CPU cooler (https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=25753), I attempted to install the associated "Fan Control Software" from a CD it came with but it couldn't see the hardware, though the hardware is connected and functioning. Installing the cooler meant taking it all apart to get underneath the MOBO so I had to remove all connections, including a Nvidia Geforce 8400 GS and Geforce GTX 480.

In device manager, two "Intel® ICHI10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller" (3A3A & 3A3C) have a yellow triangle with an exclemation mark. I right click and select properties and find "windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems(Code 43)". This is an interesting one because in safe mode, both of these are operational (both in device manager and by physically testing with mouse).

As the other person was instructed, my PSU is Thermaltake 700W (https://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=12769) with 3 sticks of DDR3 RAM (http://www.memoryc.com/computermemory/ddr3ram/6gbteamelitepc310666triplekitcl9.html)

Once again I ran a test required by another user on the forum called "Sysnative BSOD Dump" - Here is the Box link: https://app.box.com/s/lrl7n4bu4hww4uq8smm4

Thank you in advance,

Robert.

Edited by RWalerczak, 19 September 2014 - 09:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gazzooks

gazzooks

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:10 PM

I Safe Mode Windows only loads basics needed to get windows going and basic drivers for hardware. With the explanation you have given above it would appear that you are having a problem with your drivers for the "Intel® ICHI10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller" or add-ons for the control for the driver. If there is any software that starts up with Windows that controls or manages your raid controller - disable it. Also go to the Intel site and get latest drivers for the "Intel® ICHI10 Family USB Enhanced Host Controller". Getting a blue screen of death during normal mode and not during safe mode generally indicates a faulty driver or some software that is loaded when you start windows normally. Check out all your drivers and start up programs.

:)

Gazza

Edited by gazzooks, 19 September 2014 - 09:11 PM.

cheers
gazzooks

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. (Winston Churchill)

#3 RWalerczak

RWalerczak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:22 PM

Thanks for the speedy reply Gazza. I'll go ahead with installing the mentioned drivers and I'll keep you updated :)

Any idea what the screen tearing might be? I've done a little digging on the topic and the most popular answer seems to be "Monitor frequency doesn't match GPU frequency" but I've triple checked and even intentionally changed it up on both the GPU and OS (to 59hz, 59hz in different ratios, etc) to see the result with the screen tearing at its most minimal on the preferred monitor settings (60hz, 1680x1050).

Cheers,

Robert

Edited by RWalerczak, 19 September 2014 - 09:46 PM.

#4 gazzooks

gazzooks

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 25 September 2014 - 08:28 PM

The screen tearing could also be a driver issue. Also Apparently if your card exceed 60fps on games you are doomed to have image tearing even with a brand new 2ms 60hz monitor. One thing to try is: enable vsync and triple buffer or upgrade to an 120hz-144hz monitor. Although even with a 144hz monitor if you still run higher fps than 144 the problem may still exist. Adaptive vsync is a Nvidia exclusive feature. Check out these options and see how you go. Which Video card do you have in PV?

cheers

Gazza

:thumbup2:

cheers
gazzooks

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. (Winston Churchill)

#5 RWalerczak

RWalerczak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 08:53 PM

I'm a complete and utter moron. All this experience building/handling/upgrading my rig, and in the end it was both my GPU's needing updates. Ugh. /shame

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it :)

BSOD/Tearing solved. <3

I'm new to this forum so I'm not sure how it works here, but is there some way I can 'upvote' you or 'solved' the topic?

Oh, and the two USB's still aren't functioning properly, but I'll tinker around with that in the future, it's no hurry as I have 2390482309 other usb ports.

Edited by RWalerczak, 26 September 2014 - 08:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users