Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Semi-regular BSOD Watchdog Violation Error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 scoldilocks

scoldilocks

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:08 PM

Moved from a different thread.

Hi all,

I would really appreciate some help solving this BSOD Watchdog Violation error on a month-old Asus laptop (with touchscreen) on Windows 8.1 x64, Intel i7 processor, 8G RAM.

My violation error is not occurring regularly - "seems" to happen when switching tabs in Chrome, but that is probably a coincidence. It did occur once in sleep mode.

I should note that the error occurs only when plugged into a USB hub and has not happened when disconnected. I downloaded the latest driver from Displaylink as directed by Windows when I set it up the first time. However, I've been having a lot of trouble with the touchscreen going out after disconnecting from the hub and have to go into Device Manager to re-enable it. Also, when I open Device Manager, the folder collapses and expands constantly making it difficult to land on anything listed there to change the setting. Pretty weird. Thought I had solved it in power management settings, but it keeps happening. Possibly all of this is related - maybe a driver conflict or something? I'm not uber-techie, just know enough to be dangerous.

Anyhow, I have been trying to set read permissions on my dmp files, but I can't figure out how to enable. My user account should have been set up as admin - I checked the security settings on the folder and I have full access to the folder, sub-folders, and files. However whenever I click the files themselves and try to view, it says Access Denied. Not sure what's up with that, but I did manage to get permission to copy those files and upload to OneDrive.

I was in another forum which suggested running sfc /scannow so I did that.  Result:

"Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some
of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For
example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not
supported in offline servicing scenarios."

FWIW, here is a link to the CBS and the sfcdetails log, as well as the minidmp files:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E8DCD75D4E5F2EBA!6850&authkey=!AOuMM8mu5ILrFy8&ithint=folder%2ctxt

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Edited by scoldilocks, 19 September 2014 - 05:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scoldilocks

scoldilocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:12 PM

Ran BlueScreenView. 6 crashes listed, 4 caused by hal.dll, 2 by ntoskrnl.exe.

Don't know if this helps, but the most recent four crashes list the following info:

9-19-14

Caused by driver hal.dll

Caused by address hal.dll+54db0

Bug check string: blank

Bug check code: 0x00000133

Highlighted under Address In Stack:

hal.dll+54db0

ntoskrnl.exe+17ccc2

9-16-14

Caused by driver hal.dll

hal.dll+54db0

ntoskrnl.exe+17ccc2

9-15-14

Caused by driver hal.dll

hal.dll+54db0

ntoskrnl.exe+193ad6

9-14-14

Caused by driver ntoskrnl.exe

Caused by address ntoskrnl.exe+153fa0

Bug check string: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE

Bug check code: 0x0000009f

ntoskrnl.exe+1fcc1e

The full address for these follows the path C:\Windows\system32\"filename". Is there possibly an issue there since this is a 64-bit system? I'm pretty ignorant about the less obvious differences between 32- and 64-bit stuff, but I am running a 64-bit beta version of Chrome, which is where I usually am when the crash occurs.

I also enabled driver verifier per the instructions in this article http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-performance/bluescreen-for-bugcheck-0x00000133-in-windows-81/1bfca0f2-75f3-4fc7-9b48-6b6c418d3c69. Could be a coincidence, but after restarting with driver verifier enabled my internet download speeds dropped from 125mpbs to around 38mbps. (I checked when Spotify started hiccuping.)

Additionally, I reset the dump file to "small dump" rather than "auto" so there will be more info in future crash reports.

Now I just need to wait for it to crash and see if this gets us additional intel.

Edited by scoldilocks, 19 September 2014 - 07:22 PM.

#3 Jared44

Jared44

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:39 PM

You need to COPY the files to the desktop and compress them in a .zip folder.

Upload the folder here.

A Kernel memory dump would also be useful.

Go the Start
Right click My Computer
Select Properties
Click Advanced system settings
Click on the Advanced tab
Select Settings under Startup and Recovery
Then under Write debugging information select Kernel memory dump.

Once a dump is created go to:

C:/Windows/memory.dmp

Copy the file to the desktop, zip it up and upload it to a file sharing site like Onedrive. After the upload is done post the download link in your next reply.

#4 scoldilocks

scoldilocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:45 PM

Hi Jared,

I copied the minidmp files to OneDrive and shared the link in my original post. There are only 6 so I didn't zip them.

I currently have the dump set to "small", but I can change it to kernel. How do I force a dump? Wait, scratch that, I'll have to wait until it BSOD's obviously.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by scoldilocks, 19 September 2014 - 07:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users