Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Greetings from a fellow technician--veterinary, not computer, though

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 hexe

hexe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:37 PM

Before I beg the collective community for help with my dinosaur desktop which I dearly love, and which still serves me well for what I use it for, it's only polite that I introduce myself properly.  As a veterinary technician, I am sure I will be of no real use to anyone here as far as their computer issues, but I AM willing to help out other board members who have questions that are animal health-related to the extent I am permitted by the profession as well as by this website.

Mature female, some college background, primarily on-the-job training for the most part. Marginal knowledge of the anatomy of a computer, equally familiar as to how an operating system functions [know that it functions as the heart as well as the brain, to a certain extent...that's about it]. Had only been introduced to the PC for about a year before Windows burst onto the scene, so limited DOS experience, but I DO know how to get to the prompt.  :mellow:  Am only just a little still convinced that there are actually small wizards living inside of computers that are the key to the machines operating correctly. Lil' bit.  :wizard:

Still using XP on a desktop that was built by an IT-tech friend who now lives on the other side of the country from me Have W7, but am loathe to wipe XP off the desktop unit b/c I've got a bunch of old software that I do still use simply because I don't need anything newer to accomplish what I ask of it, so buying a newer version of Photoshop, for example, is a waste of money for me. I don't stream movies or music, I don't watch TV on the computer, don't upload photos to an on-line album, don't have my own website, don't game, don't really even do social media, for the most part: I just visit some websites & download email [both web-based as well as with an older stand-alone email program] several times daily; stop in from time to time to some communities [one for tractor owners, for example, and another for owners of Subaru cars, and now this one] to see what the latest buzz or discovery is, answer a question if I'm well-informed sufficiently to do so, and to solicit help [or at least sympathy] when I'm having a problem of my own with the subject of the community's collective interest. Check the news & weather, search for academic papers and reports, that sort of thing.

Was still stuck with dial-up net access until two years ago, when reasonably priced satellite service became available here. Live down in a 'hobbit hole' where no reliable cell phone signal can reach.

Also have a 7" Galaxy 2 wi-fi tablet, plus a work-issued laptop running W7 for work use.

So that's who I am, what I'm working with, and what [little] I can bring to the table. Have driven by frequently as the result of web searches for various things, and am impressed with the level of expertise as well as the sincere willingness to help out that I've observed here, so I decided it was time I got an account of my own. Because, of course, I have a question of my own that I wasn't able to deal with just via reading threads about a similar issue others had, and I want to get to the core of things.  Thanks for having me! :hello:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users