Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clicking HDD No OS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hofnettech1

hofnettech1

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:19 PM

Ok i have a Acer desktop computer with a 1TB hard drive. I am unable to get past the bios. So i tried booting from a windows disk and do a "repair windows" but was unable to completely load windows. I also hear a clicking at various times I thought it could be the hard drive but not 100%. Also maybe a corrupt OS file keeping me from booting up? 

Thanks for any replies or thoughts on what the problem could possibly be! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:32 PM

Drive may be starting to or did die.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 hofnettech1

hofnettech1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:35 PM

Thanks for fast reply!

Im going to do some more digging on it monday probably i will keep you guys posted! I havent tried getting data off yet but if im able to access files would that be more of a sign of bad software possibly over a failing drive? 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,647 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:42 PM

If you hear clicking from a HDD then that is a sign the drive is failing or has already failed. My bet is it has already failed but you can try to retrieve the data. I would download Seatools for DOS and see if the drive passes the tests. You may have to change AHCI to IDE mode in BIOS if Seatools does not detect the drive.

#5 hofnettech1

hofnettech1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:46 PM

JohnC_21

Ok i will give that a try Monday first thing! Thanks for the reply i will keep you all posted!

#6 hofnettech1

hofnettech1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 08:43 AM

Just an update on that acer i posted about friday! I removed hard drive and tried to pull data off with my IDE to USB adapter I use, and was unable to. Told me i needed to format drive and no files showed up just a bootfile. Also while it was running it sounded as if pieces of metal were knocking against each other (the clicking noise i heard) so my guess the hard drive has failed. thanks for all the replys and help guys!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users