Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Brony2012

Brony2012

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:28 PM

I am getting the Intel i5-4690K Haswell processor (aka Devil's Canyon) and was curious as to which motherboard I should get with it. I do not plan on overclocking right now, but may in the future and would like to have an SLI capable board (again for future use). The color scheme is red, so a red board would work, but it doesn't have to be. Price isn't really an issue, I'm just stingy and would like something cheap, but at the same time great. $200 would be the max ammount I would be willing to spend. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:47 PM

I got that CPU about a month or 2 ago with this board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132125  [Asus Maximus VII Hero]

But it is a tad over 200. Was bummed at first when I saw the board had a small connector that looked like it went to a hidden chipset fan. (I didn't want any chipset fans on the board) But when I powered it on I was pleased to see it was just a red backlight LED for the board, looks kinda cool actually.

I like you don't overclock either but I want that capability, I will just need to get a better cpu cooler.

So far no problems, running great with my Geforce 760.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,768 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:37 PM

Gigabyte Ultra Durable is worth looking into.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#4 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:39 PM

I think this MSI motherboard fits what you need.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:57 PM

This one is reduced to a good price at the moment - Asrock Fata1ity Z97X Killer

Not sure on any red boards really.  Black PCB with red heat sinks seems popular at the moment.  Gigabyte and MSI "Gaming" boards use it.  Apart from the colour, as far as I can tell they are decent motherboards as well..

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:00 PM

I take back the one I posted and recommend the one that jonuk76 put, great deal on a nice board.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#7 LAsmokeyBeast

LAsmokeyBeast

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:50 PM

From my opion I think you should get the asus vii hero because it looks good in cosmetic and you'll get that asus quality motherboard , it also features gigabit Ethernet, on board audio and room for multiple gpus

#8 Zerue

Zerue

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:35 AM

Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO - Enthusiast grade. Has bells and whistles that (IMO) you won't need. Build quality is top of the line though. $205 @Newegg

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-GAMING 7 - Performance grade. Sacrifices a bit of cost:performance for overall build quality (Ultra Durable branding). Supports SATA Express. $170 @Amazon

MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 - Gaming grade(?). I personally like this board, not that pricey but feels premium. Is a good motherboard overall and you get that dragon logo, which is nice lol. $135 @Micro center

ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer - Best-Bang-for-Buck grade. Has the stuff you need and none of those you don't. Not sure about the quality of Asrocks tho. $123 @Newgg

Edited by Zerue, 21 September 2014 - 02:36 AM.

If I am helping you but failed to reply within 24 hours, send me a PM.

------------------------------------

Please read these guides:

Before you post a problem

Provide system specifications

Advice on building your system

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:48 AM

Personally, for high quality boards, I go for Asus and Gigabyte.  ASRock boards are a good value, but the PCB can be a bit thin otherwise they are good for budget gamers.  I've never used MSI, I've heard strong opinions both for and against them.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users