Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crashed, chrome extensions wiped out and now unable to install new ones

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Arrow92

Arrow92

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:24 PM

Good day everyone,

My dad was using the computer after me and when I came back I noticed it was off (even though I was in the middle of some work). When I turned it back on, Windows said there was an error in the last time it was shut off. I thought nothing of it and went on my merry way. However, upon opening up chrome did I discover that something indeed was wrong.

All my extensions were wiped out. Completely. After the initial shock, I gathered my self and tried re installing the ones I could remember. However, not a single one could be installed. Instead, I kept meeting this message, "Package is invalid. Details: 'Could not unzip extension'."

After scouring the mighty sea of Google, I don't have a flying clue what happened and how to solve my current predicament.

I read someone suggesting system restore in an article. However, as luck would have had it, the last system restore point is when I had a virus attack with a software I downloaded. It took quite a while to clean up everything and I'm hoping I don't have to deal with that (at this point, my understanding of system restore could be questionable, so do let me know if it's a good option).

Please do advise, as I'm completely stumped.

Thank you for your time! :)

"I am always ready to learn, although i do not always like being taught" - Winston Churchill

Who ever said that paper beats rock is a moron.Next time i see some one i am going to throw a rock at them while they hold up a piece of paper for a shield. - Anonymous

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:39 PM

Hello, what is your Operating system?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Arrow92

Arrow92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 AM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:35 PM

MY GOODNESS! My sincerest apologies, I read the sticky before posting and STILL I forgot. Mia culpa.

I'm running Windows 8.

Alright and now an update! Everything is working fine! WOO. (Sorry for wasting your time boopme). I attempted a system restore just to see what would happen and right as I was about to do it, Windows said there was something wrong with my C disk, so (I think) it ran checkdisk. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what program it ran to fix itself, but that's exactly what happened! Everything is back to normal.

Back to work now! Thanks everyone! :)

OH OH and I just want to say thank you for this wonderful community. I've always turned to BC for help, even if it means sporadic returns (years sometimes). Help has always been swift (here's looking at you boopme!) and extremely useful! So very grateful for this community! :)

Edited by Arrow92, 19 September 2014 - 03:38 PM.

"I am always ready to learn, although i do not always like being taught" - Winston Churchill

Who ever said that paper beats rock is a moron.Next time i see some one i am going to throw a rock at them while they hold up a piece of paper for a shield. - Anonymous

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:05 PM

I moved this to WIN 8 from web browsing.

Edited by boopme, 19 September 2014 - 07:06 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users