Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

the terrible disk 100% problem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ZebraWidgets

ZebraWidgets

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:41 PM

So I have the disk 100% usage problem. .. . and it drives me nuts. I have installed sysinternals disk monitor and I have what looks to be some juicy data of my disk just burning away... 

Now how to I determine what is making my disk run like a maniac with the disk monitor? 

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:06 PM

First things first.

Can you get into Safe Mode and if so, does it stop all that crazy writing to the disk?

There are several aspects to look at but a good starting point is to download, install and scan with free Malwarebyes and free Superantispyware (careful to not select the trial versions during installation) and while they're scanning, take a look at the Startup tab in your task manager, to see what all is coming on at each bootup, and trim that group down a bit, specially if it's an unknown process.

BTW: When did all this start?

What;s your make and model of machine?

Edited by rockysosua, 19 September 2014 - 02:07 PM.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 ZebraWidgets

ZebraWidgets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:16 PM

This is a random occurance, I have not tried it in safe mode and I am not interested in running my system in safe mode for days hoping that the problem pops up.

I have run several malware programs,  my system is clean and this has been happening since I install windows 8 on this system. 

I dont have anything weird running in my start up. 

I have an i7 with a 256gb ssd and 12gb of ram.

My question is how do I determine what is making my disk run like a maniac with the disk monitor? 

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:19 PM

I'm not familiar with the disk monitor, so I don't know.

If it were me, I would simply wait for it to happen, open the task manager and put the disk usage in order of high to low usage and there it would be, at the top of the list.

All is well in Paradise.

#5 ZebraWidgets

ZebraWidgets
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:22 PM

Nope that doesnt work. 

1. the system is almost frozen getting to the task manager is almost impossible when this is going on.

2. When I have been able to get to the task manager in the past there is little or no reason shown why it is running at 100%. 

That is why I have the disk monitor installed so that it is always archiving activity even when the system runs 100%

#6 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:24 PM

Gotcha.

Well, we'll just have to wait until someone with experience with that program, comes along.

All is well in Paradise.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,014 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:43 AM

Right click in the Taskbar and choose Task Manager.

When the Task Manager opens click on Processes, then expand it to its full size and either use the Snipping Tool or create screen shot of this and post the image in your topic.

Please use the Snipping Tool to copy the image, you can find this tool in Accessories under All Programs.   After you have the image you will want to go to File and click on Save As, Pictures will open with this image, when it opens give it a name and click on save .

Using the Snipping Tool to copy an image. 

To open the Snipping tool click on the Start orb, then type snipping tool in the search box.  Snipping Tool will appear above the search box, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.  

Before you open the Snipping Tool have the image you want to copy one the destop, then open the Snipping Tool.

A small white cross (+) will appear on the screen, move this to the lower left corner of the image you want to copy, press and hold the mouse and slowly move it to the right and upwards.  You will see a red rectangle form around the image, when you have the image isolated that you want, release the mouse.  

After you have the image you will go to File and click on Save As, Pictures will open with this image, when it opens give it a name then click on Save.    

You can post this image in your next post.  Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you made with the Snipping Tool, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png

1. Download and run A Thousand Words .

2. Follow the wizard to capture a screenshot

3. Use the built-in editor to resize, edit, or re-capture your screen shot. 

4. Your screen shot will be saved to your desktop when you finish the wizard.

You can post the screenshot in your next post as an attachment.  

Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you made with the, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users