Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Chrome keeps opening a new browser randomly ..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SugarHooves

SugarHooves

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:29 PM

Hi ..

I have the latest version of 64-bit Chrome v37.0.2062.120 m for my Win 7 Pro 64-bit OS.

In the last 2-3 days, extra versions of the Chrome browser have started opening up randomly.

I run SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes in real time protection. 

- No yellow flags have popped up.

- I run each under a full scan every 24 hours. Nothing in their logs.

I have added no new extensions in the last 2-3 days, Maybe 1-3 weeks ago?

I uninstalled/re-installed Chrome, same issue.

I searched Google/Bing and closest reported issues were specific to certain website URLs popping up when a tab or new window opened up. Not this issue.

The new browser that opens randomly does not contain the 'Set Pages' I established to open when I first open Chrome.

The new browser that opens only contains one tab of by default 'X New Tab' extension I have used for a long time with no issues.

Ideas? Suggestions? to narrow down, solve this issue are greatly appreciated.

Let me know.

Thanks.

John

Edited by Orange Blossom, 19 September 2014 - 03:42 PM.
Moved to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SugarHooves

SugarHooves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 01:39 PM

well, the lack of responses was disheartening

I solved issue myself using a 3rd anti-virus, giving the free copy of iObit Malware fighter a use.  It found and deleted ...

"IObit Malware Fighter

Version: 2.4.1.16
Define Version: 1375
Time Elapsed: 00:28:40
Objects Scanned: 89761
Threats Found: 1
Save Time: 9/20/2014 8:32:42 AM

|Name|Type|Description|ID|
Connect DLC 5, REG, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\NativeMessagingHosts\nmhostct3306061, 2015248"

A Bing search found this to be part of the infamous 'Conduit toolbar.'  A separate search of my system turned up nothing but an empty folder so I 'assume' that the other two AntiVirus I use under 24 hour real protection and full scans, SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes must have caught most of 'Conduit Toolbar' though their logs are incomplete OR iObit Malware Fighter caught a remnant/vestige of 'Conduit Toolbar' that only affected Chrome.

#3 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:16 AM

SugarHooves,

Just saw your posting about using SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes in real time protection as anti-virus, so wanted to let you know that although those two programs are EXCELLENT, they are for detecting and cleaning malware, not traditional viruses.

Therefore, I highly recommend that you install and use an anti-virus program in addition to using SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes.  There are many good ones you can choose from, both free and paid for (I personally use the free Microsoft Security Essentials program), but definitiely pick one and use it.  There is simply too much bad stuff lurking out there, so the better protected your computer is, the better off you are.

P.S.  Unlike malware protection programs where you can safely install multiple different ones safely, you should install only ONE anti-virus program at a time; otherwise it could cause serious problems for you.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:42 PM

With regard to IObit products...

Tekken

#5 SugarHooves

SugarHooves
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2014 - 09:54 PM

jhayz,

Was given that same info from Malwarebytes a while back, one year+?, and took it to heart at that time ... but this issue for this thread with Chrome was driving me crazy and since I still believe and used iObit's non-malware products I gave iObit Malware Fighter a shot at this Chrome issue and, well, you saw the result. Problem solved that Malwarebyte's did not solve.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 04 October 2014 - 06:21 PM

Glad you were able to resolve but in case of hijackers, PUP or toolbars, use Adwcleaner instead just in case or seek guidance from malware experts such as the Am I Infected? forum from BleepingComputer. Malwarebytes and Adwcleaner have different scanning and removal function or features in dealing with specific infections.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users