Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Previous Wi-Fi connection breadcrumbs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 caldermd

caldermd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:29 AM

I am outside of my home network provided by Comcast.  I would like to find out what the most recent global IP of my home router was.  I have my laptop which was very recently connected to it and my Android Phone that was also connected a few hours ago.

I would like to find a log file, a system event... something which tells me what the public IP of my home Wi-Fi router was the last time that I connected to it.  It is a Windows 7 laptop.  Any help would be appreciated.

The why isn't terribly relevant:  I installed TightVNC at home and redirected the appropriate ports to an internet computer running the server.  But I forgot to find out my home router's public (world-visible) IP address before I left.

If the basic OS hasn't stored this information anywhere, there are some other things that would have reached to the outside world while it was on my home network which may or may not have logs.  Steam, battle.net, Chrome, Chrome Hangouts, Watchguard Mobile VPN, remote desktop over the VPN...  and an android phone.

I have not found this info in the basic OS.  

Pretty much expect to fail as the only thing I know which works is tracert from inside the target network.

Steam nor Battle.net seemed to be logging anything other than the valve and battlenet servers that they reached out to.

Edited by caldermd, 19 September 2014 - 11:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:06 PM

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but ...

If you were using DHCP, and still are on the home router, then the IP addy that the world sees can change every time the lease is renewed. If you need a fixed address then you probably will have to purchase a Static IP.

I get it now, my comment is nonsense, belay it.

Edited by ElfBane, 19 September 2014 - 02:47 PM.

#3 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:57 PM

The Security logs maybe could have it, so this might be of help ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Security_Log .

#4 caldermd

caldermd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:26 PM

Yeah, I'm done with this for the afternoon and I'm soon to be driving back home where the answer is easy.  Didn't see any IP addresses in the security log.

I figure after I get home I can scrub the computer for the actual number and see if it appears in any of the logs/registry/text files on the computer.

As for TightVNC and a long-term solution for a static IP..  I might be able to do something more hacky... like a duck.  Errr.  DUC

http://corz.org/network/static.ip.address.php?page=all#MICHAEL1193166825

(down under "notes...")

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users