Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Recovery Help

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 deuce23

deuce23

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 04:30 PM

I took my system home so my eldest brother could fix the fan and everything was working fine until my older brother touched my system and the whole system crashed! Touch of death if you ask me. From then, he couldn't even get into BIOS so my system wasn't detecting any of my HDs.

My eldest brother plugged my primary HD into his system as a secondary and he was able to get into BIOS but he couldn't access any data. When he plugged my secondary HD into his system as a secondary, he was able to access it just fine.

So, it's just my primary HD that's messed up. I can access BIOS now but still can't get into Windows. I have heard techniques of freezing the HD and I have heard of some programs and I have heard of the expensive way to go.

Any suggestions?
Daily Digest FreebieGossip --- AngryMidgetYo --- Sinfest --- Explosm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:09 PM

I took my system home so my eldest brother could fix the fan and everything was working fine until my older brother touched my system and the whole system crashed! Touch of death if you ask me. From then, he couldn't even get into BIOS so my system wasn't detecting any of my HDs.

My eldest brother plugged my primary HD into his system as a secondary and he was able to get into BIOS but he couldn't access any data. When he plugged my secondary HD into his system as a secondary, he was able to access it just fine.

So, it's just my primary HD that's messed up. I can access BIOS now but still can't get into Windows. I have heard techniques of freezing the HD and I have heard of some programs and I have heard of the expensive way to go.

Any suggestions?

you say that when he plugged it into his PC as a secondary, he could get into BIOS? Do you mean his BIOS read it as a slave on his computer? Because individual hard drives dont have BIOS.

Also, Your partition may have messed up. There are a few programs out there. The one i prefer to use is called partition magic.. you can make a couple of rescue disks that will run without an OS and wil lshow you all hidden partitions plus your one active. I'd say give that a shot, there are also many other tools you can use.. Since your brother can set it up as a slave in his system, why not run a chkdsk on it? or if he has admin privleges,he can go to start>control panel>administrator tools>computer management>Disk Management.

What this is, is a built in partition manager from microsoft themselves. Only they never tell anyone about it. See if you can get anything to run there and post back.

Edited by Uraiser, 08 June 2006 - 06:10 PM.

#3 deuce23

deuce23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2006 - 03:19 AM

Any suggestions?

you say that when he plugged it into his PC as a secondary, he could get into BIOS? Do you mean his BIOS read it as a slave on his computer? Because individual hard drives dont have BIOS.

Also, Your partition may have messed up. There are a few programs out there. The one i prefer to use is called partition magic.. you can make a couple of rescue disks that will run without an OS and wil lshow you all hidden partitions plus your one active. I'd say give that a shot, there are also many other tools you can use.. Since your brother can set it up as a slave in his system, why not run a chkdsk on it? or if he has admin privleges,he can go to start>control panel>administrator tools>computer management>Disk Management.

What this is, is a built in partition manager from microsoft themselves. Only they never tell anyone about it. See if you can get anything to run there and post back.

Okay, I said it wrong. When my brother plugged my primary as his secondary on his system, he couldn't access my HD and it said that it is not formatted and if he wanted to format it. So, any suggestion on retrieving the data or making it accessible again?

#4 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 10 June 2006 - 09:36 AM

You say he couldn't access the hard drive -- in Windows, it sounds like. Does the BIOS identify it correctly?

#5 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 10 June 2006 - 01:38 PM

It said it wasnt formatted correctly? Hmm. Well, if its not in FAT32 or NTFS like it was previously... If you dont mind me asking, what brand HDD is it?

#6 deuce23

deuce23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 02:28 AM

You say he couldn't access the hard drive -- in Windows, it sounds like. Does the BIOS identify it correctly?

BIOS will pick it up but if you were try to access it, you can't as if it wasn't formatted.

It said it wasnt formatted correctly? Hmm. Well, if its not in FAT32 or NTFS like it was previously... If you dont mind me asking, what brand HDD is it?

It's a Samsung.

#7 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:24 PM

Did you try looking at the partition info with the instructions I gave you?

#8 RichieP

RichieP

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 11:07 AM

You say it was the primary drive in your computer. Have you changed the jumper settings on the back to Slave when you put it into your brothers?

#9 deuce23

deuce23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:51 PM

Tried to but don't know what to do...Partition that is. Here's a screenshot of it and I circled my HD as his slave.

Posted Image

You say it was the primary drive in your computer. Have you changed the jumper settings on the back to Slave when you put it into your brothers?

Did.

Edited by deuce23, 22 June 2006 - 04:52 PM.

#10 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:54 AM

Tried to but don't know what to do...Partition that is. Here's a screenshot of it and I circled my HD as his slave.

Posted Image

Did.

It looks as if it doesnt have a file system.. Example NTFS, or FAT32.. What kind of drive is it?

#11 deuce23

deuce23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:14 AM

It looks as if it doesnt have a file system.. Example NTFS, or FAT32.. What kind of drive is it?

It was suppose to be a NTFS.

#12 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:54 PM

It was suppose to be a NTFS.

I mean as far as brand, Western digital, Maxtor, Seagate, Etc....

#13 deuce23

deuce23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:44 AM

I mean as far as brand, Western digital, Maxtor, Seagate, Etc....

You asked that before already. It's a Samsung.

So, can I get my information back?

#14 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 03:00 AM

So I did, My apologies, I forgot.. hah..

In all honesty, you will not be able to. Something happend to that hard drive somewhere down the line that got rid of the NTFS file system, thus erasing everything. If you take a look at the partition/disk manager from windows that you showed, it says that on that current disk, there is 100% free space... Im sorry friend, but its gone. Thats why it is readable, but not writeable.

Edited by Uraiser, 26 June 2006 - 03:01 AM.

#15 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 06:44 AM

There are utilities available that can sometimes recover data from a drive that has been reformatted or had its partitions deleted. I suggest that you do a google search on data recovery and similar terms. I also suggest looking at reviews for any program that interests you -- good places to look are the CNet download site and Tucows.

Most of these programs will allow you to download for free and scan the disk to see whether your data shows up. If it does, then to recover the data, you will have to register and pay for the program. Costs vary, my recollection is in the neighborhood of $40 - $70 US for a "personal" license.

Of course it's up to you whether your data is worth the money, and it's possible that it cannot be recovered.

Another thing to do is download Samsung's HD diagnostics utility and make a boot floppy or CD. Detailed instructions will be on the Samsung support page. You need to know whether the drive is mechanically healthy. If it is, chances of data recovery are better -- though still not certain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users