Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer makes strange noise

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jus78

jus78

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 03 June 2004 - 07:50 PM

Hi,
I know this isn't the correct forum but couldn't see another one that would be more appropriate. Every once in a while when my computer is running I will hear a quick noise coming from it. It only lasts a second and sounds much like the sound you hear when your computer shuts down - almost like a clicking. It doesn't seem to affect the computer as I am able to continue using it unimpeded but was wondering if it could be an indication of anything bad. Thanks a bunch for any info.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:04 PM

Two things come to mind. Could be possibly the hard drive, and if it is that is not good, or the cpu or case fan. It is not uncommon for the ball bearings in case fans to start going bad and that can occasionally cause sounds to happen.

If it starts happening often, open up the side of the computer and try to determine where its coming from.

#3 jus78

jus78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 03 June 2004 - 09:49 PM

Thanks for the info Grinler. I have another quick question for you. Plimsol had mentioned before when I pasted a "hijack this" log that my IP address caused some concern for him. When I allow the Internet to find my IP address every site comes up with the same address, one which is vastly different from the one I have now. Can I and should I change the IP address? Why would my IP address be what it is and not what it is "supposed" to be? Thanks in advance.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 03 June 2004 - 10:39 PM

I am not sure I udnerstand what you are referring to with your ip address question

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users