Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo! Answers has become a scammers den for questions related to pc security?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 titan1

titan1

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:51 AM

I am regular visitor at yahoo answers.But recently for some months,I am witnessing that the questions which are being asked related to security and there are too many answers there which are fake,even the links provided there lead to nasty virus injecting sites.As for example if search the google for some suggestions on best antivirus on yahoo answers.You will get the results.And in the Q&A you will obviously see-" the best link to download Ccleaner is...." or " I am a developer at microsoft and I know a thing or two about computers,the best antivirus is pchealthboost.." and even today I saw a question in which the asker chose the best answer in which an antivirus was mentioned as antiviruskiller.And the site of that antivirus Antiviruskiller.net was created only a day before the question was asked.My concern is that there are many people who use yahoo answers for pc security related enquiry.And such posts are very misleading.Do you have any view on this ongoing scam?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:00 AM

The Web...is a maze of unwanted items, bad advice, and scams...intermixed with bona fide sites, sites which are truly helpful, and sites which are informational.

It is up to the user to decide the quality and type of site he/she chooses to visit.

IMO...if you choose to visit a site and have complaints/questions about what is going on at that site...that website is the place to air such.  You may receive no response but doing so will at least throw up a red flag for those unfamiliar or new visitors.

Louis

#3 titan1

titan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:46 AM

But louis,don't you think that the yahoo administrators should have look on what is going on their site?at least,they started the yahoo answers site to help people I think.

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:31 PM

On occasion i have done web searches about various technical topics and yahoo answers has been among the results, now conceptually that site is a nice idea but in practice it's not much good. answers on it, in most cases, either state the obvious or are written by spammers trying to push a particular product. I've seen several where software has been recommended which has no relevance to the question being asked, i've also seen plenty which are clearly trying to push a "registry cleaner/optimizer" accompanied by the usual snake oil claims that go with such programs. I hope not many people are using it for such purposes, and more importantly i hope those who do use it also check other sources for information to compare with what someone on yahoo answers has told them. But given how gullible most people are, how willingly they will believe any information about topics they cannot fully comprehend, how few people think to get multiple opinions to compare,contrast and sum up and how many people fall for snake oil type products (not just in computer related matters) i would think many hundreds, probably thousands are fooled by spam answers on sites like that.

It's the same type of gullibility in victims that allows "download and run this exe file for fun content" or "your computer needs this RECOMMENDED and FREE update" scams to run for so long, some words (like recommended) seem to trick so many people despite them being quite meaningless in these contexts (the spammers never even bother to suggest WHO has recommended something). Yes it's scary how dumb/overly trusting some people in the population can be. I don't know what proportion it is but since many yahoo answers visitors will read the same page and think the advice is good then there are clearly enough such people to make it economically worthwhile for the scammer.

Edited by rp88, 19 September 2014 - 10:36 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users