Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Speed Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mr. Bitchen

Mr. Bitchen

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:25 AM

Hi there.  My ISP just upgraded to vastly faster speeds, up and down.  It's now supposed to be 200 mbps down and 20 mbps up.  However, upon taking various speed tests around the web, I always come up with 90-104 mbps down and around 10 mbps up.  Could it be that my GigaLAN is not set right? Maybe it's only allowing 100/10?

Thanks!

Edited by hamluis, 19 September 2014 - 09:51 AM.
Moved from XP to Service Providers - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:47 AM

Have you voiced your concerns...to your ISP?

Louis

#3 Mr. Bitchen

Mr. Bitchen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:07 AM

As of today, the problem remains.  My provider has no idea yet, but I have a tech visit scheduled for next week.  Anyone know of anything I can try on my PC until then?  Maybe I can resolve this and just cancel the appointment...

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:49 AM

Where are you testing your connection to? If using Speedtest.net, be aware that each server on that site has its own bandwidth cap. 200 MBps download is a great amount of bandwidth and the servers you test to may have a limit on them. I assume you are using Time Warner, and if so, try testing your speed using their speed test website for your state. I find this gives a good test to make sure that they are providing the speed directly to you. Other than that, it just depends on what your downloading from where and if THEIR servers/bandwidth can deliver it to you at full speed.

Gavin Seabrook

#5 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 09:33 AM

You mention that you think it might be an issue with your Gigabit network. Is your computer, router and/or modem rated for Gigabit speeds? Do you have any other network devices between your computer and your router, like a switch? What is the model number of your computer and router?

If you have more than one computer in your home (rated for Gigabit speeds), and can set up a shared folder on one of them, you can use a free program like LAN SpeedTest to test the speed of your LAN. If you get the same results as your internet speedtest, the bottleneck is somewhere between your computer and your modem.

-- Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users