Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Starts up with black screen (Picture included)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JustAnAvgBob

JustAnAvgBob

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:01 PM

Hello guys, thanks for taking the time to read this!

My problem started out of the blue, I was playing a game on my laptop then the screen I also had a HDMI cord connected so It could display on our TV. After about 15 minutes in It the screen Instantly turns black, no warning no nothing the power button still lit up, so I held the power button to shut it down. I try to reboot it, but nothing but a black screen.

My laptop is a ( ACER V3-771G-6851 Windows 8, 2 integrated graphic cards, one is a 640M Nvidia, and the other is an Intel HD 4000. )

I kept restarting, it eventually the ACER logo showed up, but after it loaded, all that appeared was a black screen, after waiting for a few minutes, I decided to shut it down to let it rest. After that about 20 minutes, I restarted it about 3 times, the ACER logo appears again, but it freezes and these weird rainbow coloured lines came up

n9Zgy6v.jpg?2

I've been looking all day, If anyone could suggest anything, I've be grateful. If you need any more info, I'll do my best to provide it!

Thanks for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:02 AM

Does it boot in Safe Mode?

#3 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:24 AM

Those look to me like GPU artifacts, usually indicating that the GPU is dying, but if it does boot into safe mode then that would make it a software issue.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#4 JustAnAvgBob

JustAnAvgBob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 09:48 AM

Hey,

As to your question when I was lucky enough to get the ACER logo to appear, I couldn't boot into safe mode, It was like the screen just froze and everything stopped. Now whenever I turn it on, nothing appears, no backlight just a black screen. The power button is lit up, if their is a CD in the disc drive It'll spin, even the fan is working.

I was thinking this might be a GPU problem, I'm not sure, If it'd be possible to change to my main Intel 4000, if it was just the 640m dying on me. I'm not that great about computers so I'm not sure if that's even possible or not.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

#5 JustAnAvgBob

JustAnAvgBob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:36 PM

Hey guys.

Update here. I took out the battery, waited some time, put it back in, kept restarting. eventually It came on It showed a "Diagnosing Computer" screen, after about a minute, it froze, so I waited a couple minutes then shut it off. I was able to get on through safe mode after I restarted it luckily, I updated my Nvidia drivers, restarted it and now its back on, (Woo!) I'm wondering if their are any precautions I should do right now since its back up.

Thanks for reading!

#6 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:11 PM

Good to hear it's working now, weird that the drivers were causing the issue though. Can you think of any hardware or software changes you made before it started giving you issues?

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#7 JustAnAvgBob

JustAnAvgBob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:09 PM

Honestly I'm not to sure if the drivers were to blame. I didn't make any changes to anything that day, I was just playing a game when it happened, a pretty old one so I doubt it was stressing the out anything.

Edited by JustAnAvgBob, 19 September 2014 - 04:10 PM.

#8 JustAnAvgBob

JustAnAvgBob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 08:47 PM

Hey guys, I got some sad news.

Apparently after about 3 hours of use the black screen (Of doom) appeared :( , and its been doing the same things on startup as its been before.

I'm not sure if this would be a motherboard issue, or a graphics card issue, I've had this laptop for maybe 2 years at best. I use a fan for it to keep it cool,

If anyone has any ideas on what it might be, I'd be grateful. as for that I'm just probably going to have to find somewhere to take it in, hopefully its not that serious.

I've also tried my HDMI cord (connected to the TV) and there's no signal, so I know this isn't my screen that's acting up.

If anything changes while I mess with it a bit I'll be sure to update.

Anyway thanks for reading!

#9 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:29 AM

If it doesn't display on a known-good external monitor/TV, then it's probably the MB.

#10 JustAnAvgBob

JustAnAvgBob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 11:17 AM

Yeah, I tried using HDMI to connect to a TV, no luck at all :(.

I'm pretty sure its something with the motherboard or graphics card. I'm going to have to take it in to get it fixed in about 2 weeks, so if anything changes between then I'll be sure to update, incase anybody else is having the same problem.

Thanks guys for all your help. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users