Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Access FTP To Download Files

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CorruptCoW

CorruptCoW

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:08 PM

You site was recommended as a reliable place to come to look for help with regards to a possible infection. Some feel that the cause of my unique problem may be the result of a virus.

I am a member of an online group of aviation simulation enthusiasts. There are many sites out there that offer acess to thousands of user contributed files to enhance the hobby on simulated flying. I have been an avid member at one such site for several years, and have only now began to experience issues with downloading their files from their web based FTP server.

I am able to access the websites file library, and make a selection. It takes me to a pre fetch page and advises me my download will begin in a few moments. At the moment the connection tries to access the FTP server, I quickly get this error in my default Firefox (32.0.1) browser:

The connection was reset
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

It asks me to try again, and I do so several times within minutes, over hours, over days and over months. I am not successful! I try it on another browser, Torch ... and get similar results but with a less elaborate error message.

No data received.

In an effort to diagnose, I tried Internet Explorer, and get this error:

The webpage cannot be found

No one else at this site seems to have these problems, and they have exhausted any ideas they feel might be contributing to the problem. (See the thread here.)

An AVG Antivirus (Custom scan of all drives) turned up negative for any virii. Malwarebytes reported no malicious items detected.

I can download all these files on my other home computers that I am unable to on this one particular problem computer.

I hope someone is able to help me resolve this annoying issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:36 PM

Have you tried downloading from the site with AVG disabled?

Edit: What is your OS and is this the only site on the internet you have problems with?

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 September 2014 - 09:44 PM.

#3 CorruptCoW

CorruptCoW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:34 PM

Hi JohnC

Yes ... I have tried with AVG disabled, Windows firewall disabled ... both disabled ... with no success.

I am using Windows 7 64bit, and this appears to be the only site I have issues with. The http portion of the site is fine, it fails on thiscomputer oly when it tries to access the FTP server to get the file.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:10 PM

I would download the portable version of Filezilla. When you double click the exe file it will run through some windows and then ask where you want to extract the folder to. If you double click the exe file on the desktop, the extracted folder will go to to the desktop. Run Filezilla by double clicking the exe file in the folder that was created. The Filezilla Windows will open. In the top left box key in ftp website and press quickconnect. There is no need to put a username and password in unless the website requires it. You will have two Panes. The left will be your Computer and the right will be the ftp site. In the left pane you can browse to a folder you want the file downloaded to. In the right pane, drag the file you want to the left pane. The lower pane should show the progress of the download.

Tutorial

#5 CorruptCoW

CorruptCoW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:33 AM

Hi JohnC,

Apparently using an FTP client to access this site's files is unwelcome.

So, the question remains why I am unable to use any of my browsers to access the FTP on this one particular computer? Can we suspect my computer to be infected thus impeding my ability to download?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 12:38 PM

I don't think it is a malware infection as Malwarebytes and AVG found nothing. You could download Hitman Pro and see if it finds anything. If HitmanPro comes up clean I think it would be something other than malware, especially since it seems to be only one website that is the problem.

Here is the ftp site for HP. Can you download a file from it?

In Internet Explorer make sure this ftp setting is checked.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 September 2014 - 12:46 PM.

#7 CorruptCoW

CorruptCoW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:58 PM

Hi John,

Thank you for your continued support.

No, I was unable to download from the HP FTP server usingthelink provided on any of my browsers. The  passive FTP setting was checked.

I ran HitmanPro, and other than a handful of tracking cookies, it picked up the following which may or may not be contributing factors:

"Proxy server on this computer" (Internet Explorer is using a proxy server on this computer to access the internet) - option to repair.

3 registry entries, 2 for Babylon (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\) and 1 for Askbar (HKU\S-1-5-21-3094640726-1966403301-1000\Software\) - options to delete

Cheers

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:00 PM

The proxy server may be something added by AVG. Check the proxy settings in IE. What is the IP address of the proxy server shown? I would disable proxy server by unchecking the box but make a note of the IP address and port so you can restore them if needed. With the Proxy server disabled, can you access the FTP site? Do the other computers that can access the FTP site also have AVG installed?

Those registry entries are PUP's. I would delete those and then use Adwcleaner.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 September 2014 - 09:39 PM.

#9 CorruptCoW

CorruptCoW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:45 PM

Hi John,

I used Adwcleaner and is removed quite a bit related to Torch.

With Firefox, under the NETWORK tab in the ADVANCED options, I was able to select the way in which firefox connects. Pressing the settings button presented me with the following options:

[ ] No proxy

[ ] Auto detect proxy settings for this network

[ ] Use system proxy settings

[ ] Manual proxy configuration.

"Use system proxy settings" was the option that had been selected. I changed the option to "No proxy" and was able to sucessfully download from the FTP server. I then chose "Auto-detect proxy settings for this network" and was again able to download from the server. I also disabled the proxy setting configuration in Internet Explorer and had similar success.

So, thank you for narrowing down the problem. I am not sure how things changed, as this was a problem that I just started to encounter withinthe last few months (only now became frustrated enough to try to resolve it). I have always used AVG. Am I safe to run my computer with these new settings?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:38 AM

Having a proxy server added for no reason usually means something malware related caused it to change. If you reboot the computer, make sure the proxy server is not set again. If it is then something is causing the addition of the proxy server at each boot. In IE did it give a IP address of the proxy server?

#11 CorruptCoW

CorruptCoW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:32 PM

JohnC, after further checking, I think things are good, or at least they appear so at this time. The original problem appears to have been resolved. The proxy settings did not revert back, but stayed as I had left them, so it isn't changing with booting.

Internet Explorer when I first discovered this proxy issue didn't reveal any IP, but rather "Address : localhost  Port : 21320" if that reveals anything of suspision.

Thanks again so much John.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2014 - 04:47 PM

Sometimes a security application as well as malware can also use a proxy server to route traffic through. See this thread from the Spybot forum. It's possible that Adwcleaner removed some adware that set up the proxy. I would continue to keep an eye on it. If you are concerned about it, you can create a new thread in the Virus Removal Forum after attaching logs that is explained in the sticky posts of the forum. One more scan you can use would be Tdss killer and Rogue Killer which is on the bleeping computer site. If Tdss and Rogue Killer find anything, do not remove, just post the results.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users