Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sys Reserved, C: and boot problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tomterific

Tomterific

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:39 PM

I just acquired an HP laptop that works OK but has a strange mixture of primary type partitions. As you can see from the attached pic of the way the partitions are arranged, Having lots of unallocated space, I'm unable to create another one since three primaries limit me. So, I Am afraid to combine any primaries if that's even possible. I need advice please.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:44 PM

Right click inside the boundaries of the "C" rectangle and hit "Extend Volume" and it will merge with the unallocated space.

PS: Not only will that provide you with a massive amount of space, but it should also improve your performance by a fair bit, as overfilled hard drives that contain the operating system, get slower the more they fill up.

Edited by rockysosua, 18 September 2014 - 08:46 PM.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 Tomterific

Tomterific
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:24 AM

I'm only concerned that I could loose the Windows reserve since we no longer get a CD to cover that loss. I'm looking for a simple, clear tutorial on the whole subject of reserve, boot, and windows on C: which I've not seen before using XP. I will try that if you can say you think that's not a big risk?

#4 Tomterific

Tomterific
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 11:05 AM

What will happen if I use the CD with EPM on it to boot into Easeus then change the C: to logical, then create another partition with part of that space. Then go back and change the reduced C: to primary? That will give me another partition to use for data.

#5 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:32 PM

DO NOT CHANGE C: TO A LOGICAL DRIVE.

Here's your tutorial... http://www.7tutorials.com/how-manage-your-disks-using-disk-management-utility .

What rockyosua said is correct, you can extend C: into unallocated space that is next to C:.

The D: partition is the Recovery partition and won't be bothered by extending C into the unallocated space.

#6 Laith225

Laith225

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:44 AM

Do not worry. Extending the volume is not gonna make any harm. It will give you a better performence + more space on the C: Drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users