Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how do you check if you have any read errors on seagate drives?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 signofzeta

signofzeta

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:11 PM

I heard that it is normal for the SMART attribute "read error rate" to be very high with seagate drives because of the different way they handle how they count read errors.

For Western Digital drives, if you don't have any read errors, the raw value for the read error rate will say 0.

For Seagate drives, it is different.  I basically want to know how to tell, by looking at the raw value of the read error rate, that a Seagate drive has any read errors or not?

I read from a source that the raw values for read error rate represent the sector count and not the error counts, and would roll back to 0 when it reaches 250 million, and some math involved that makes it so that when it says 1 for a western digital drive, it means 1 read error, but when it says 1 on a seagate drive, it doesn't mean 1 read error.

So does anybody here have any knowledge of Seagate drives to understand how to read the read error rate SMART attribute?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users