Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CONNECTING A BRIDGE, USING DIAL-UP

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 903ASP

903ASP

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:43 PM

I have one desk top with this set up working fine, using Win XP, but can not set it up on another desk top, using Win XP, or my two lap tops, using Win 7. The reason it says, is this: "TO CREATE A NETWORK BRIDGE, YOU MUST SELECT AT LEAST TWO LAN, OR HIGH SPEED INTERNET CONNECTIONS, THAT ARE NOT BEING USED BY INTERNET CONNECTION SHARING.". I have tried searching for solutions, but to no avail. I just can't figure out how to do, what it is asking.....arrrrgh! Can anyone help. Have dial-up, so video help is not an option :(

Edited by hamluis, 18 September 2014 - 04:30 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:23 PM

Dial up as in using a analog line?  At 56k with the more common 28k it is not meant to be a shared internet connection.  Doesn't have enough bandwidth.

Now if you mean Dial Up as in a PPPoE connection [DSL] then usually you put in a router that can support the PPPoE connection and the user authentication it requires [user name and password].

Perhaps you can provide a better description of your equipment and setup?

#3 903ASP

903ASP
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:40 PM

Maybe not meant to be, but can be Wand, as i have one desk top using it. My equipment/setup wouldn't make any difference, as bridging can be used for many reasons, and bridge connection steps, should be the same for any one of those reasons. Just need the steps :)

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:18 AM

Sorry but the lack of info you are providing doesn't allow me to advise you.  If you say you already have one pc that is using "it" [bridge] then you have already bridged the dial up to the lan.

Now if you were able to describe what you did that resulted in the above error and what it is you are trying to accomplish [bridge is not an explanation] then perhaps we can help.

Posting the results of a ipconfig /all when connected to the dial up would also be helpful.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:01 PM

what are you bridging to the dial up?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:40 PM

Answer: "desk top with this set up working fine, using Win XP, but can not set it up on another desk top, using Win XP, or my two lap tops, using Win 7."

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:07 PM

903ASP it doesn't appear we are going to get the communication we need so I am going to take a stab in the dark as to what you are doing.

If you are bridging your dialup connection to a wired nic in the machine that has the dial up this can result in two problems

1. you have no dhcp server to give to the pc attached to the wired nic you are trying to share internet on

2. you can only share to one machine when you have multiple machines.

Instead you need to engage ICS [internet connection sharing - google it for the how to].  Additionally you need to get a switch connected to your internet sharing pc wired nic.  You would then connect the rest of the stations to the switch so they can get internet.  ICS provides a dhcp server so they will all get ip addresses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users