Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

An unexpected I/O error has occurred (0xc00000e9)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mc2009

mc2009

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:04 PM

I have an HP G60-635DX Notebook. When I turned it on today, this came up:

Windows Boot Manager

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive while the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

If you continue to receive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred.

I'm unable to get to Windows 7. I can't even use safe mode. I tried System Diagnostics and got these results:

Start-up Test

100% of the system memory test OK

3,113,721,856 bytes of system memory tested OK

Memory Test Passed

Primary Hard Disk Self Test

Quick Test is Executing

00% Complete

#10008 - Replace Hard Disk 1 rent test item

SMART check

SMART Hard Disk Passed

Run-In Test

100% of the system memory test OK

3,113,721,856 bytes of system memory tested OK

Memory Test Passed

"Hard Disk 1 Quick" (303)

"Hard Disk 1 Full" (305)

Should I try System Recovery, which I can do by pressing F11? Should I use a recovery disk? Would doing either of those cause me to lose all my files? I can't afford to lose those files, so if there's anyway to fix my laptop without wiping anything out, I hope someone here will be able to tell me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:26 PM

Unfortunately, this message -- "#10008 - Replace Hard Disk 1 rent test item" -- indicates the hard drive is essentially dead and needs to be replaced. :(

You might try burning a copy of Puppy Linux to a CD, or installing it on a USB drive and attempting to recover your user data.

https://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-using-puppy-linux.html

https://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-using-puppy-linux-page-2.html

#3 mc2009

mc2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:14 PM

I used Puppy Linux. I was able to recover a lot of files with it, but not all of them. I had to buy a new laptop. Thank you for the help.

#4 Comptech72

Comptech72

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2014 - 10:38 PM

I found the issue. When I purchased my Win 7 64bit.. I had to download the iso. I burned the first disk and was getting the error. I reburned a new disk fresh out of the package and it worked.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users