Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backweb-137903.exe - How Can I Get Rid Of It?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jma

Jma

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 02:23 PM

Hi,

I keep getting an error message while shutting down: "BackWeb-137903.exe has encountered a problem and needs to shut down" I have NO IDEA WHAT BackWeb is, but I think it is something that is causing my computer to run poorly!!!! I'm using an HP pavilion 750n with Windows XP. I have Norton 2006, Ad-aware and Windows Defender, but none of them seem to find or remove this little bugger!! Can I get rid of it somehow???????

Thanks,
Jma

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 02:29 PM

Backweb is often installed as a part of major software, such as Kodak software. It contacts the software writer looking for updates to the software. It is possible that this is safe for you (in other words not malware related) however Backweb has been exploited before for malicious purposes.

So, do you have Kodak software running on your computer? Or, I think, HP uses Backweb also. Do you have HP printer or camera software installed?

EDIT: Look at THIS. It turns out it is part of HP software. What are the odds that it wouldn't be working properly???? <sarcasm dripping>

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 08 June 2006 - 02:31 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Jma

Jma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:46 PM

Thanks!! I did know that HP uses Backweb, but when I did a google search, I found tons of websites that said it was spyware. Since I'm no longer under warranty, I don't need it anyway, I just have no idea how to get rid of it!! Also, that's the only message that I've been getting, and my computer seems to running slower.

Thanks again!
Jma

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:35 PM

Before you just delete it you need to look at the following as deleting it may have an adverse effect if you use any of the software that incorporates it, Compaq, HP, McAffee, Logitech, Western Digital among them.

It is used to distribute updated drivers and critical updates and even though you may be out of warranty that doesn't mean all support ended.

#5 fireboy

fireboy

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:49 PM

You could just use MSCONFIG to disable it and see what happens. Click on Start and then run and type msconfig and press enter. Left click on the Startup tab and then find Backweb in the list and uncheck it. Left click on Apply and then on Ok. You will need to restart your computer to make the changes take effect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users