Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repair RAW Drives

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 novo

novo

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:20 PM

Hello,

I have a Western Digital 500GB Hard-disk which somehow became corrupted and showing RAW file-system and need to format before use. Diskpart details are given below.  Now, I know that I can easily recover data using various applications like EaseUS Data Recovery etc. from that drive. But the problem is, I don't have any other disk spaces where I can save those 300 MB data and then format the disk.

I’ve already tried CHKDSK but it can’t access RAW drive. So, is there any way to repair disk as well as recover data without moving those large files into any other disks?

I’m using Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. Screen-shots of Diskpart, Disk management link given. Please write back if any other details needed.

Thanks, :lmao:

WD Elements 1042 USB Device

Disk ID: 0002941A

Type   : USB

Path   : 0

Target: 0

LUN ID: 0

Location Path: UNAVAILABLE

Current Read-only State: No

Read-only: No

Boot Disk: No

Page file Disk: No

Hibernation File Disk: No

Crashdump Disk: No

Clustered Disk: No

Volume ###   Ltr    Label    Fs        Type         Size       Status      Info

---------------   ----   --------   -------   -----------   ---------   ----------   --------

Volume 7          J                          RAW     Partition     465 GB     Healthy

Screen shots:

http://www.imagesup.net/?di=13141106286616

http://www.imagesup.net/?di=11141106303712

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:27 PM

I would download the Windows version of Testdisk and follow this guide. If the files can be listed using the "P" key as shown in the guide. you can write a new partition table but I would strongly advise you copy your most critical files first. You can select the files using the up/down arrow keys and the ":" key. Then use the upper case "C" to copy the files. The default location would be the folder that you unzipped Testdisk to. Because you do not have the space, you can copy a few files at a time and then upload them to the cloud using Dropbox, Skydrive, or Mega. After you have copied your critical files, then I would attempt the partition table write but only if you can list your files.

#3 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 12:57 AM

If you're just worried about a 300MB data you can recover it and save it temporarily to a 1GB or a larger capacity flash drive until u can reformat your hard drive.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#4 novo

novo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:37 AM

First I apologize to JohnC_21 and Frozwire for making such late reply. Actually just before getting your suggestions, I went to a hardware store to recover my data. But they couldn't and made things worse. Now the drive doesn't appear in 'Computer' that I could atleast format it. I've collected all necessary data from another source and now just want to format it. Please show me way to repair bad sector and format, unless I've to throw it to garbage box.

Following GSmartControl and HD tune Pro attribute showing warning. Please write back any other info or full GSmartControl / HD tune pro report below.

Gsmartcontrol :

ID#   ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG    VALUE   WORST   THRESH     TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED  RAW_VALUE

197  Current_Pending_Sector   0x0032        191          191            000   Old_age         Always              -                     753

HD tune Pro : WD Elements 1042 Health

ID                                               Current   Worst   Threshold   Data     Status   

(C5) Current Pending Sector           191      191                 0     753   warning

Thanks,

Novo

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,633 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:08 AM

I think the drive is failing. Look at the Reallocated sector count.

Seatools for DOS will try to repair the sectors. Seatools for DOS will not work if the drive is attached via a USB enclosure or adapter. Doing a full format of the drive should mark the sectors as bad but I would not trust the drive.

Tutorial

User Guide

#6 Frozwire

Frozwire

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:30 AM

Since you already have the data that you wanted and have nothing important from that failing drive. It would be better if you'll just bin the old drive and obtain a new good reliable drive as a replacement.

"Encryption...is a powerful defensive weapon for free people. It offers a technical guarantee of privacy, regardless of who is running the government... It's hard to think of a more powerful, less dangerous tool for liberty...” - Esther Dyson

#7 novo

novo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:33 AM

I think the drive is failing. Look at the Reallocated sector count.

Seatools for DOS will try to repair the sectors. Seatools for DOS will not work if the drive is attached via a USB enclosure or adapter. Doing a full format of the drive should mark the sectors as bad but I would not trust the drive.

Tutorial

User Guide

Thanks JohnC_21, here detail GSmartControl diagnostic report along with Reallocated sector count. Please look into it and suggest if I should use Seatool. Does it work fine on Western Digital HD? Well, I don't have any doubt on your opinion, just asking.

Thank you, GSmartControl Report given below.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16

ID#   ATTRIBUTE_NAME              FLAG    VALUE    WORST    THRESH       TYPE    UPDATED   WHEN_FAILED    RAW_VALUE

1    Raw_Read_Error_Rate       0x002f        168            168            051        Pre-fail      Always                 -                       1355

3    Spin_Up_Time                    0x0027        155            151            021        Pre-fail      Always                 -                       3216

4    Start_Stop_Count               0x0032        100            100            000       Old_age     Always                 -                         231

5    Reallocated_Sector_Ct       0x0033        200            200           140        Pre-fail       Always                 -                             0

7    Seek_Error_Rate                0x002e        200            200            000       Old_age     Always                 -                             0

9    Power_On_Hours               0x0032        100            100            000       Old_age     Always                 -                         103

10    Spin_Retry_Count              0x0032        100            100            000       Old_age     Always                 -                             0

11    Calibration_Retry_Count    0x0032        100           100             000       Old_age     Always                 -                             0

12    Power_Cycle_Count           0x0032        100           100             000       Old_age     Always                 -                         192

192   Power-Off_Retract_Count  0x0032        200            200            000       Old_age     Always                 -                           99

193   Load_Cycle_Count             0x0032        200            200            000       Old_age     Always                 -                         995

194   Temperature_Celsius         0x0022        117            100            000       Old_age     Always                 -                           30

196   Reallocated_Event_Count  0x0032     200            200            000       Old_age    Always                 -                             0

197   Current_Pending_Sector    0x0032        191            191            000       Old_age     Always                 -                         753

198   Offline_Uncorrectable         0x0030        100            253            000      Old_age     Offline                  -                              0

199   UDMA_CRC_Error_Count  0x0032        200            200            000      Old_age     Always                 -                              0

200   Multi_Zone_Error_Rate      0x0008        100            253            000       Old_age     Offline                  -                              0

#8 novo

novo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:42 AM

Since you already have the data that you wanted and have nothing important from that failing drive. It would be better if you'll just bin the old drive and obtain a new good reliable drive as a replacement.

Thanks Frozwire for your suggestion. But you know, new hard disk costs $100 in India. So I want to make a try to repair this disk before buy a new one. Yes, if I ultimately fail then I've to do as you said. before that any kind of suggestion is welcome.

Thaks a lot.  

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,633 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:15 AM

Current Pending Sector Count,,,, This is the attribute that is troubling. The sectors are awaiting reallocation but cannot be reallocated because they cannot be read. That is why I believe the Reallocated sector count is still zero. I would do the Seatools test. Better would be to use WD's own diagnostic but unfortunately they no longer show the DOS version but it is still available on the UBCD which has many other tools available. You could format (full not quick) the drive. The link also mentions chkdsk but this cannot be run on a RAW drive.  Formatting should mark those bad sectors and format only the good ones. But, there is always the chance you could get another corrupted drive. If you plan on doing this, make sure you make regular backups to an external drive if you have it or to the cloud for your most important data. I don't know what the current exchange rate is for Indian Rupee but you may find a good deal on ebay.in.

From Wiki.

Current Pending Sector Count

.Count of "unstable" sectors (waiting to be remapped, because of unrecoverable read errors). If an unstable sector is subsequently read successfully, the sector is remapped and this value is decreased. Read errors on a sector will not remap the sector immediately (since the correct value cannot be read and so the value to remap is not known, and also it might become readable later); instead, the drive firmware remembers that the sector needs to be remapped, and will remap it the next time it's written.[35] However some drives will not immediately remap such sectors when written; instead the drive will first attempt to write to the problem sector and if the write operation is successful then the sector will be marked good (in this case, the "Reallocation Event Count" (0xC4) will not be increased). This is a serious shortcoming, for if such a drive contains marginal sectors that consistently fail only after some time has passed following a successful write operation, then the drive will never remap these problem sectors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users