Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Freezes - Situation Well Explained - Please Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Carl Rich

Carl Rich

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 01:22 PM

First we'll start with the PC specs:

Gigabyte 7VAX motherboard
AMD XP 1667 @ 2000 GHZ
2 Ram 256 mb DDR 266
80 GB Hard Drive
160 GB Hard Drive
CD Burner
DVD Burner
Geforce Graphics card 4 MX 440 64MB
Soundblaster 4.1
Aver TV card

This set-up described above has worked just great for me since I bought it in 2002.

About a 6 months ago it started freezing whenver I played music or video regardless of the program that I used to reproduce the music or video. It freezes at other time but not always. If i don't play music or video, I can easily work an entire day with no freezes or maybe just one or 2 freezes. If I put on music or video, it doesn't last more than 5 minutes, but has made it to halfway through a movie in the past. Lately it doesn't make it more than a couple of minutes. Finally, lately i've noticed that it freezes with some web pages that have flash elements. The funny thing is that i can wath the TV no problem and used to be able to watch DVD's no problem although lately it does freeze once or twice during an original DVD movie.

The mother board chipset fan died on me about a year and half ago but it has a heat sink. I don't know how long it was working with the fan broken, but when I saw that it was broken, I changed it and it continued working. The chipset fan died again sometime around when the problems started, but I don't remember if it was before or after. I've replaced the fan again and this fan is still working.

I've updated to a Soundblaster 5.1 thinking it could be the sound card, but it still freezes.
I've added another 256 MB (not currently installed) and it still froze.
I unplugged all the PCI cards and RAM put them back in and it still freezes.
I've run memcheck88 or something like that and it says that RAM is fine.
I've reinstalled I don't know how many times.
I've deep level formated my hard drives.
I've changed the microprocessor fan and heat sink. please note that the problem existed before I made this change. The old fan was making a lot of noise, so I bought a new one and had to get a new heat sink while I was at it since the store didn't sell fans that would fit my old heat sink.
I've updated all of the drivers and it still freezes.

Do you need any more specs?

I have aida32 installed if anyone needs any specs from that.

I think that is about it. I've come to the conclusion that i must have damaged the chipset when the fan broke either the first or second time but I'm looking for any suggestions or opinions that you might have.

Does anyone know if there is a program to test the stability of your chipset?

It seems to me that any compressed material (music or divx movies) is sure to freeze the computer but I can work in freehand or photoshop and so long as I don't work too fast, I can work several hours, it doesn't freeze. I can watch TV and it doesn't freeze. Sometimes I can even listen to a an entire CD (in mp3 format) without freezing but somewhere down the playlist it always freezes. Divx movies aren't even worth trying anymore and watching CNN news clips at www.cnn.com sometimes work and sometimes freeze the computer.

So one last cry for help before I run out and buy a new computer which I don't mind doing, but if I can put it off a bit that would be great. Money is a bit tight at the moment.
This computer meets my needs but since it also doubles as my entertainment set, i need to be able to watch movies and listen to music.

Either way, I'd like to fix this computer, i.e. buy a new motherboard, to give it to some friends who need a computer or use it as a server to better control the network and shared internet access that I have setup in my apartment building.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Carl Rich

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 02:20 PM

Well, there are so many possiblities. Hmmmm.

I unplugged all the PCI cards and RAM put them back in and it still freezes.

And you did this why - to make sure they were all seated properly? So, you have not run the computer without them installed? This might be something to try, BUT FIRST: remove the ram and put in your new piece of ram only. See if the computer still freezes. If it does, then remove the PCI cards and run it.

These are a couple of things to try before scrapping the computer, to be sure.

The issue could be RAM related, other hardware related, or software related. Might be a little hard to track down, but let us know the results of the above ideas.

EDIT: It may be a little premature to talk about this, but replacing the motherboard would not be that expensive. I see them for sale on ebay HERE. If you buy one of these mobos, replace it, and the problem persists, you could always resell the mobo on ebay and not be out very much money.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 08 June 2006 - 02:24 PM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 angell

angell

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:06 PM

Hi Albert Einstein

I came across this thread in the forum and the problems the person described are very very similar to what i'm experiencing. I did replace the mobo for my friends computer. Now i have installed the old mobo on a different systems unit with different hardware. Lo and behold, the system freezes unexpectedly and the screen turns black, keyboard and mouse also freeze up. I noticed the freezing occurred often while using media player but it freezes otherwise as well. Currently i have been using the computer for the past 9 hours without any freezing. I did use realplayer and windows media player but only for a little while.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 25 August 2006 - 10:51 PM

angell,
If you have a problem you would like to discuss, please start your own topic.
This will help to avoid the confusion, of trying to help two or more people, in the same thread, with different problems.
Even if your problem is similar to the original poster's problem, the solution could be totally different due to different hardware, software, system requirements, etc....
This is also known as hijacking a thread, which is not considered to be proper forum etiquette.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users