Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading HP Elitebook 9470m Intel N6235 to Wireless-AC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rex32

Rex32

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:32 AM

Hello,

I'm looking to add Wireless-AC capability to my HP Elitebook 9470m. The OE wifi card is an Intel N6235 and it is constantly dropping connections. I want to fix that problem but I'm also upgrading my home network to wireless-AC so I wanted to upgrade my wifi card as well. It looks like there are two options, an Intel 3160 or Intel 7260 card. I'm not sure of the difference between the two, that is what I'm going to dig into now.

I have read that HP locks the BIOS to only work with certain cards, does anyone know if that is machine specific or will any Intel 'Approved Card' work? Meaning, if I figure out what wifi card they use in the newer elitebooks (that supports wireless-ac) and buy that card and install it - will it work as it is not whitelisted/blocked from BIOS?

Thanks for the help guys, this is an amazing resource!

-Rex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:14 PM

Cardbus wireless adapter would do the job, IMO, so would a USB wireless adapter.

<<I have read that HP locks the BIOS to only work with certain cards, does anyone know if that is machine specific or will any Intel 'Approved Card' work?>>

Your native capability has nothing to do with what type of card you choose, IMO.  That would not make any sense since the card does not depend at all on what is currently/initially installed.

But...I don't do wireless so you had better wait for a response from someone  with experience/knowledge in that area :).

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:01 PM

I would be very careful of ordering a Wireless card for a HP notebook unless it was specifically allowed by HP. HP does have a whilelist for wireless cards in their BIOS and there are a lot of bad comments on HP's forum. Here is a thread with 10 pages of comments. People have resorted to using modded BIOS's to get past the whitelist. Something I would not recommend as it may brick the computer.

Here is something you definitely do not want to try but it gives you an idea of what can be done to bypass the whitelist.

I would recommend you buy a good USB ac wireless dongle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users