Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the general opinion on Bitdefender?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Vecordia

Vecordia

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:34 AM

I've been considering switching off of Avast recently. I'm not a fan of what they've done to the UI, and the popups for their sales have seemed to get a bit too frequent IMO. Additionally, Avast doesn't seem to understand that false-positive means false-positive - when I reported files as false-positive, they were still moved to the virus chest and I commonly had to add a few folders above the file I wanted to block to the exclusions in order for the exclusion to take effect. I did some googling to find what the most popular antivirus programs are, and checked the commonly linked-to post by quietman7, and Bitdefender seems to be a popular choice on all fronts. However, a search of the forums didn't show any threads about it, so I figured I'd ask here.

I do a lot of gaming, but it's fairly safe to turn off my AV during gaming since I play through Steam. I am fairly advanced when it comes to computer knowledge so I don't need a tool that's overly simple, but I dislike a UI that's unintuitive (such as Avast putting the virus quarantine under "Component status"). I need an antivirus that has around the same kind of protection as Avast - active web protection, file protection, and antivirus scanning. Mail protection isn't really necessary as I just log on to sites to view my mail. Will Bitdefender fill my needs? Is it any better or worse than Avast?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 11:35 PM

I've been through Avast and Avira... and now use BitDefender. Works fine, good protection and low resource drain. Just to note though, it keeps asking you to log in until you create a free account and sign in on your machine... So i handed over my email thinking I'd just block the spam later, but surprisingly I get almost no mail from them at all. 

UI may be quite simple on first appearances, but that turns out to be a pro as the application runs without maintenance. I've not yet had a false positive or web based intrusion since using it.

I think BitDefender is the best free AV available at the moment.

ps: I do mostly use Linux though, but on the one machine that does run Win natively it has done very well. Exactly what it says on the packet.

Edited by TsVk!, 18 September 2014 - 11:39 PM.

#3 Louisaz

Louisaz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 01:56 PM

Because of its excellent repuation and test scores, I am also thinking of switching to Bitdefender Antivirus.  I am currently using MSE and MBAM Premium concurrently.  The latter seems to be doing all of the work.  MSE never seems to catch anything.  I've traded several detailed emails with Bitdefender product support in the last few days.  They are adamant that Bitdefender AV should run alone and not in conjuction with any other AV program -- such as MBAM.   

I've also read on the Malwarebytes forum that both programs can co-exist -- provided they are installed in the right sequence and with the correct exclusions.  Even so, Bitdefender insists that their research indicates that problems occur and can be traced to conflicts when multiple AVs are used concurrently.

The "belt and suspenders" approach seems logical, but the reality may be counter-intuitive.

Thoughts?

Louis (Louisaz)

Edited by Louisaz, 20 September 2014 - 01:57 PM.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 05:53 PM

Malwarebytes is not your standard AV, so it doesn't cause conflicts in the same manner as other AV applications... Though I'm sure you could find more specific information about the required configuration/possible conflicts with a quick search.

I think the reality is that if you don't download files from unknown sources (and learn how to check where your files are coming from), keep your OS updated and don't click on advertisements you have a very low chance of being infected. Using your computer as a standard user and only utilizing the administrator account for changing settings is another basic but commonly overlooked way to protect your system from attacks. I also upload all files to virustotal.com before executing them on my systems. It is a great tool available to everyone for free... Still occasionally bad script does get through, but for heavy internet users this would only be every couple of years, and it would be immediately apparent.

I ran a software firewall for many years (I have a basic hardware one now), and it saved me many more times than my AV.

#5 Louisaz

Louisaz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 06:54 PM

Yeah, I agree.  MBAM is not "your standard AV" -- it's an anti-malware program.  I've the used free version many times to remove virus infections on the PCs of friends and mine -- even though they were running one of the major AVs.  Last year I sprang for the MBAM Premium, which seems to be doing its job efficiently and consistently.  I also run CCleaner daily and SuperAntiSpyware scanner a few times a week.  I remain virus free.

I've sent in a request (ticket) to MBAM support to see if they will provide me with a list of compatible AV programs.

Louis

Edited by Louisaz, 20 September 2014 - 06:55 PM.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 07:53 PM

Please let us know how they respond. :busy:

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:06 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance.

Larry Tate
Product Support

If any conflicts between Malwarebytes and another security program are reported, suggested solutions are usually provided in the Common Issues, Questions, and their Solutions, FAQs thread for v1.75 or Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Support Forum for v2.0.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#8 Louisaz

Louisaz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:05 PM

I will let you know how MalwareBytes responds.

#9 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 10:45 PM

I use Bitdefender on all 3 of my computers and have had zero issues with it. Probably the lightest (on resources) and least nagging of all the free AV's out there. Use the right-click menu to scan individual drives, folders, or files, or launch a system scan from the UI. It's also the smallest and simplest UI I've ever seen for an AV app. Yeah, you have to register to keep the app activated after 30? days, but you can use the same account to activate multiple installs on different machines. Also, like TsVk! said, I got one account confirmation email from them and have never heard from them again. There are no "exceptions" options on the UI, but you can mark files for exceptions or exclusions after a scan has found them. Give it a try, you'll probably like it.

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#10 Vecordia

Vecordia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 12:44 AM

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I'm definitely going to give Bitdefender a try and I'll report back on what I think of it.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:34 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community and good luck.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users