Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble with the router.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 geordief

geordief

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:00 AM

I have a connection from my broadband supplier.It goes into my wireless router directly and I use the wifi on my pc to get the connection onto the computer itself.

Ideally I want to be able to alternate the broadband cable from my Linksys Wi-Fi Router WRT54GL to the back of my PC as required.

However when I do this I get a "bridging page" from my ISP that gives me my IP address and asks me to contact my ISP to fix the "Temporarily Unavailable" problem .

If I reattach the cable into the router the internet comes back .

I am not 100% sure my (WiMax) ISP is on top of the situation and I would like to see if there is anything I can do from my end before I contact them again (I don't want to have to buy a new router which is something they did half suggest)

PS  :this is a repost from here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92171372

as I didn't get  any replies. Hope no-one objects.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:04 PM

Your post is a bit unclear.  You have two broadband connections?  WiMax and cable/dsl connecting to the linksys?

Edited by Wand3r3r, 18 September 2014 - 12:04 PM.

#3 geordief

geordief
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 05:38 PM

Hi and thanks .

I have one  broadband connection.It arrives via a cable connected to a smallish dish on the roof. This dish receives a signal from a nearby hill (a couple of miles away).

The cable from the dish on the roof   goes into a small white  box  in the house itself into  which is also plugged a separate smaller  (less long) cable  that goes into the ethernet port of my PC .

I also have a  Linksys Wi-Fi Router ( WRT54GL  )  and sometimes I disconnect the (small) cable from the  PC  and plug it into the router instead ( so as to establish a wifi network in the house)

This is how I had the system set up when my ISP came to do some work (upgrading the dish).

Since this visit I can no longer alternate between plugging the(small) cable into the back of the  PC and into the router (from where I can receive the signal via the wifi on the PC as well as all around the house  to anyone else who wants to share the signal)

If I am using the router all is well and good. But if I try to put the (small) cable directly into the back of the PC I get  a screen that tells me my connection is temporarily unavailable with the instruction to contact my ISP .

If I then put the cable back  into the router all is hunky dory again

Edited by geordief, 18 September 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:25 PM

Since this visit I can no longer alternate between plugging the(small) cable into the back of the  PC and into the router (from where I can receive the signal via the wifi on the PC as well as all around the house  to anyone else who wants to share the signal

A reboot on the router or main access point may be required to re acquire IP address from main to Linksys router or both. Have you tried that already?

Tekken

#5 geordief

geordief
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 12:26 PM

I don't think I would have the skill (or perhaps the authority ) to reboot the "main access point".

I think you may mean the dish in the roof?

I can't see how rebooting the  router  should help seeing as how  ,for now , it is the router than is working correctly and  it is the PC that doesn't get the internet when the cable is connected directly. (it does work on the wifi).

I am sure the ISP company will get it fixed if  contact them but  i don't  want to have to buy a new router which is something they half suggested  when they were scratching their heads as to why things were not working properly (this was being done over the telephone)

They seemed to think my method of unplugging the cable from the back of the PC and plugging it into the router instead  was perhaps not kosher but I have  followed this procedure for the past 4 or 5 years and it is only since they upgraded the dish on the roof  a few weeks back  that there has been any problem at all.

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:16 PM

Why not just plug the PC into the router and leave it hooked up? Not sure what's going on that it changed from what you've been doing for so long.  

What IP address do you get when connected directly to the white box? What IP when you're connected to the Linksys? 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:53 PM

This is not a ip address or reboot issue.

"If I am using the router all is well and good. But if I try to put the (small) cable directly into the back of the PC I get  a screen that tells me my connection is temporarily unavailable with the instruction to contact my ISP .

If I then put the cable back  into the router all is hunky dory again"

Sounds to me the ISP engaged MAC FILTERING

This means only the mac address of the routers wan port is registered with the ISP and will get a valid ip address from the ISP.

This really is the best setup for you as you are behind a router.  Have you tried connecting wired to the router from your PC instead of using wifi?  You may find the speed is just fine for you.

That aside you can test if this is the case by doing the following;

logon to the router and go to the wan interface.  Usually you can see what the mac address is of the router.  It is a 40bit address in the form of AC-72-89-29-E8-BB as an example. Write it down.

Go to your pcs network and sharing center. 

click on change adapter settings 

right mouse click and go to properties of the lan adapter

click on configure adapter

go to advanced

look for "locally administered address" or "network address"

put in the mac address you copied from the router

save/click OK

reboot

try your connection again

#8 geordief

geordief
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:54 AM

This is not a ip address or reboot issue.

"If I am using the router all is well and good. But if I try to put the (small) cable directly into the back of the PC I get  a screen that tells me my connection is temporarily unavailable with the instruction to contact my ISP .

If I then put the cable back  into the router all is hunky dory again"

Sounds to me the ISP engaged MAC FILTERING

This means only the mac address of the routers wan port is registered with the ISP and will get a valid ip address from the ISP.

This really is the best setup for you as you are behind a router.  Have you tried connecting wired to the router from your PC instead of using wifi?  You may find the speed is just fine for you.

That aside you can test if this is the case by doing the following;

logon to the router and go to the wan interface.  Usually you can see what the mac address is of the router.  It is a 40bit address in the form of AC-72-89-29-E8-BB as an example. Write it down.

Go to your pcs network and sharing center. 

click on change adapter settings 

right mouse click and go to properties of the lan adapter

click on configure adapter

go to advanced

look for "locally administered address" or "network address"

put in the mac address you copied from the router

save/click OK

reboot

try your connection again

thanks.That is a solution along the lines of what I was looking for .I will have a go at thast  on Monday or Tuesday ( when my ISP helpdesk is open in case things  go wrong).

@ cavedweller2  I don't want to continuously use the router over the long term because it uses up electricity and  in any case I need to know why it will not work without the router being  in the loop (as it always did in the past) 

I only need to use the router when there are others around who need to share the connection.

#9 geordief

geordief
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:13 AM

Thanks Wand3r3r

I have done as you suggested and  now the system works perfectly.

When I want to connect the wifi router  I get the internet connection and when I unplug the wifi and connect directly to the back of the PC  that also works.

I can switch between the two no problem.

So thanks for that (I didn't do it till now as I was terrified it might not work!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users