Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on old computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 C0dyC

C0dyC

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:07 AM

Hi all I'm hoping for some insight on my dinosaur, I am currently running a CyberPower Complete PC- meaning it was purchased built from CyberPower in 2007.  I have only upgraded a few components over the years and was looking for advice as to what most likely will be failing next. The upgraded parts consist of 7GB RaMASUS GTX 750ti, And a 500W PS I purchased in a pinch from the local computer store due to mine failing.  A GT 610 Was installed around 2-3 years ago because the video card that was installed transistors exploded.  

To summarize the parts that have failed were the video card and power supply. I got a Hard Drive failing code about six months ago on start up, however I unplugged the Molex and Sata for a few minutes after turning the computer off, plugged them back in and rebooted into OS no problems HD wise since. 

Computer is mostly used for gaming. Also connected to a APC battery backup. 

I most likely will be purchasing a new PS because my event log shows "kernel error 41 The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."   I am assuming my PS is causing this issue because  the current supply is running +12V@17A (500w)   -The 750 ti's Recommended system requirements  are +12V@20A (400w). 

Aside from the opinion to toss it and build a new, any ideas on the most crucial next upgrade to keep it going for a few more months?

CAS:X-Discovery Mid-Tower Case 420W W/ WINDOW &Temperature Display
> CS_FAN: Default case fans
> CPU: (Socket AM2) AMD Athlon™64 X2 4000+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
> FAN: AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK
> HDD: Single Hard Drive (250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [+13])
> MOTHERBOARD: (Socket AM2)GigaByte GA-M57SLI-S4 nForce 570-SLI Chipset 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:06 AM

If you are using it for gaming i would recommend the next upgrade either be the psu or cpu (or both) if possible, but that of course depends on what your willing to spend. If you don't mind me asking what is your budget for upgrades? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users