Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Catastrophic failure msg during System Restore attempt now black screen

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 StormnNormnWowPlayer

StormnNormnWowPlayer

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:33 PM

Hello, and thanks for this fantastic forum!  The topic title is the end result, I'll describe best I can the precursor events.  

First, Win 7 update froze, waited for an hour with no circle movement, that circley thing that rotates during updates and such.  

Second, restarted computer, googled what to do about this, several recommendations came up.  I decided on a System Restore.

Third, the instructions said to restore to the to the restore point just prior to the frozen update.  This failed, so I attempted to restore to the next closest Restore Point.  I should note, that these first two were for the updates of that Tuesday, meaning they had the same date and similar times.  No clue if this is relevant, I just thought it odd as the system updated on shutdown.  I didn't manually install the updates, if I am correct would have created a Restore Point for each manual update.  Then the Catastrophic Error message popped up attempting to restore from the 2nd closest Restore Point.  The two had the same dates and similar times.  I realize I should have written down the Error codes, but I neglected my normal diligence.  

Fourth, I reset the computer thinking of trying Safe Mode options to restore the system.  Holding down F8 during the entire boot process would not boot to Safe Mode.  The loading Windows screen did NOT appear the computer just went to the Log-in screen.  I restarted the computer, then repeatedly pressed F8 during the boot process, again no Loading Windows screen appeared, just went to Log-in Screen.  From my understanding, the F8 pressing comes during the Loading Windows part.  I realized that my keyboard was wireless, and thought maybe a wired keyboard would work to get into Safe Mode.  Switched out my wireless for a usb keyboard.  Attempted the two prior methods again with the same results.  

Next, Using the system configuration utililty in Administrative Tools, I tried to force the computer into Safe Mode

I chose Safe boot, network, and No GUI.  Clicked Launch System Restore, and got a black screen after the HDD Light lit up and I assume booted into safe mode, pressing the enter button the HDD responded, but couldn't see what I was actually clicking on.

So, The screen has the error "no signal" after the assumed boot up occurs, the HDD lights works for the length of time a safe mode boot takes.  The HDD light responds to the enter key pressing for two or three taps, I don't think i am in BIOS.  I can't tell however.  

Any help is greatly appreciated!  Thanks much in advance!  Any info I left out, or corrections to my timeline is welcomed.  I was at this for about 4 hours so my recollection may be fuzzy.

System

Win7 Home Preminum 64-bit

NVIDIA 9800GT

8gigs Mushkin 

Gigabyte MOBO 

AMD Phenom II 965BE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:54 AM

"Holding down F8 during the entire boot process would not boot to Safe Mode"

Don't hold down the F8 key, just tap it once a second or so. You may have to try this several times because the process is finicky.

#3 StormnNormnWowPlayer

StormnNormnWowPlayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:01 PM

Thanks Elfbane,  I'll give that a try or 7, lol.  I'll post back when I know something.  

#4 StormnNormnWowPlayer

StormnNormnWowPlayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:20 AM

@Elfbane.  I did as suggested 8 times.  No change.  It still seems like from my past experience that the system boots into safe mode, but there is nothing going to the screen to verify or counter my argument.  I will try another video card, and possibly the display of another computer, I haven't done that before.  I will give it a shot.  If you have any suggestion, comments, ideas, criticisms, or anything else to add.........Please feel free to do so.  Thanks again, James.

#5 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:54 AM

If you have integrated graphics on your MB you can try removing the discrete vid-card and going with the integrated. If you get video then the discrete card is bad.

#6 StormnNormnWowPlayer

StormnNormnWowPlayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:05 AM

My thoughts exactly, I am not sure if the MOBO will recognise in BIOS that my main video adapter is no longer avaiable.  I believe I turned off the on-board video adapter in BIOS in favor of my 9800GT.  Any thoughts?

#7 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:18 AM

Don't know what to say... on my rig the video is PnP, IIRC. Do you get video when you bring up the BIOS?

And if you're not getting video at all now in regular boot, Safe Mode, or BIOS, then we just shoot in the dark.

You can look up your BIOS on the web, write down the keystrokes that will return the BIOS to defaults, and then perform those keystrokes in-the-blind. Remove your vid-card and hook up to integrated graphics... see what happens.

#8 Laith225

Laith225

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:47 AM

Thinking of this kinda problem makes me confused.

However i would try buying another motherboard.

Cheers

Laith225

#9 StormnNormnWowPlayer

StormnNormnWowPlayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 01:40 AM

@Elfbane, looks like  I have some work to do.  I will try all these things and see what happens.   As it stands currently, no video period, the screen stays black regardless.  

@Laith225  Lets hope I don't have to replace my MOBO!

#10 StormnNormnWowPlayer

StormnNormnWowPlayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:11 AM

Ok, update.  I replaced my v-card with an older one.  BINGO!

Computer boots into safe-mode, screen is bright and I can see what I am clicking on.

However, I still have the problem of NO System Restore points, and  I get an error msg 0x80042302.  Stating something about shadow volume copy...

Also, when trying to create a restore point, the same error msg appears.

Also, windows event viewer isn't available.  

What I am trying to do now is to correct windows update failure.  

Thanks again!

#11 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:48 AM

In regards to Volume Shadow Copy and System Restore, pls read this thread all the way thru,,, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/492652/system-restore-and-volume-shadow-copy/ .

#12 StormnNormnWowPlayer

StormnNormnWowPlayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:08 AM

@Elfbane  Thanks will do.

#13 StormnNormnWowPlayer

StormnNormnWowPlayer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 09:04 AM

@Elfbane, Ok read up on VSS and writers and requesters and such.  Is it possible that because of booting win 7  with the parameters I had selected using the system configuration utility in Administrative Tools, I chose Safe boot, network, and No GUI.  Could these parameters keep VSS, System Restore, and Event Viewer services from loading?  I did not disable them manually.  I use IOBit suite for much of my maintenance and it backs up stuff all the time.  Does IOBits' software use the same Services that Win 7 uses, I wonder.  Either way, What would be my next step do you think?

Thanks again!  James

#14 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:01 AM

See this thread, particularly post#4 ...  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/550005/spyhunter-vs-malwarebytes-vs-iobit/?hl=%2Biobit#entry3492035 .

#15 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 10:15 AM

In addition, many peeps here would consider IOBit software a "system optimizer", and we recommend that these sort of things not be used. The fact that almost all system optimizers are scams, and considering IOBit's apparent dishonesty, I think perhaps you should uninstall any and all IOBit software on your PC. See this link ,,, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/?p=2853053 .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users