Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Change To Toolbar?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:36 PM

I was on the web and one of those Spybot Teatimer boxes came up asking about some toolbar change. Since the Teatimer box is always garbled, I couldn't see which button to click in order to allow or deny. I try to remember that left is allow and right is deny, but I accidently clicked the left button. Then it said that resident allowed change to toolbar. I was wondering if that could be a problem. I have both Yahoo and Google toolbars. Could the change be legit? Can I somehow change the decision through Spybot? I think I might be overreacting, but I hate when stuff like this happens.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:45 PM

There is a possiblility you allowed some malware on your computer. Do scans with your security programs. You could also do a system restore to yesterday. Yep, I have that same problem with spybot and you are correct that left is allow and right is deny change. Check also in Add/Remove to see if there is a new program added today.

Edited by buddy215, 08 June 2006 - 12:48 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 PCIlliterateGal

PCIlliterateGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:26 PM

I scanned with Spybot and Adaware and the usual cookies were found. Adaware showed two possible hijack attempts by Game House...I downloaded a couple of games from them in the last week or so. I checked my program list and I didn't see anything new.

Unfortunately, I don't have a backup disc or anything to restore my system with. Doesn't SpywareBlaster have something like that?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:53 PM

System restore is on your computer. Start/Help and support/undo changes with system restore/click on restore my computer to an earlier time/next/ then pick a date before you think you might have got infected. Before doing that though, why not scan with one more program. Ewido will scan and remove anything it finds.

Download and install Ewido Anti-Malware

During the installation, uncheck the following under Additional Options:
Install background guard
Install scan via context menu

Check for updates

Note: If you have problems with the updater, you can manually update Ewido.
Download ewido-signatures-full-current.exe from here and save to your Desktop.
All you need to do then is to double-click it, click Install and then when it has finished, Close.

Make sure that you can see hidden files
" Click Start
" Open My Computer
" Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options
" Select the View Tab
" Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders
" Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option
" Click Yes to confirm
" Click OK
These files are hidden to stop you accidentally removing something important.
It is advisable to hide them again after fixing your computer.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,134 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 06:16 PM

You have AVG, right? Do a scan with that, also. If nothing is found you are probably safe and can avoid the restore.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 07:22 PM

I was on the web and one of those Spybot Teatimer boxes came up asking about some toolbar change. Since the Teatimer box is always garbled, I couldn't see which button to click in order to allow or deny.

This is a known problem with Spybot 1.4
You can find more information about this, here:
Spybot/Alert Dialog, Not complete

I try to remember that left is allow and right is deny, but I accidently clicked the left button. Then it said that resident allowed change to toolbar. I was wondering if that could be a problem. I have both Yahoo and Google toolbars. Could the change be legit? Can I somehow change the decision through Spybot?

When you clicked Allow, did you select Remember this decision?
If so you should be able to reverse the change.
To get TeaTimer to forget what you told it to remember, via Remember this decision, you can right click on the TeaTimer system tray icon and select Settings.
This will bring up TeaTimer's "White & Black List".
There are four (4) Buttons accross the top of the "White & Black List":

* Allowed processes
* Blocked processes
* Allowed registry changes
* Blocked registry changes

If you donít see all four buttons, try expanding the window to the right.

The button you're looking for in the "White & Black List" is Allowed registry changes.
You can review all the entries that you've stored.
You can also delete entries by clicking on the scripted black "X", to the right of the entry.
When your finished, click the OK button.
This will make TeaTimer "forget", what you told it to remember.
During future changes to these items, TeaTimer will issue a pop-up dialog, asking if you want to Allow, or Deny, the change.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users