Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

one of my linux computers got hurt

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:51 PM

my laptop is on 24/7. basicaly it is under my desk and is the main computer. Well, one day I come home and the tv server is off (that one also is on 24/7. that upset me because it runs Linux Mint (live) and because it is live I need to download xbmc and put the fusion website back on it. So I complained that someone shut it down. My roommate then told me that what happened is thst the power went out and that a second later there was a big POP down the street and the power went back up. Well, I restarted XBMC and everything was working as before... until I power-cycled the main computer. After that was done the internet switch wouldn't turn on. A couple of more power-cycles and before bios even takes over I get a message that the cooling fan isn't acting correctly. Anyone know what I can tell the service tech so I don't sound like a complete moron?

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:43 AM

Nothing wrong with what you have said here. Power surges can cause damage. Shutting down improperly

as during a power failure can cause software and hardware malfunctions.

You might pop a Live DVD or flash drive in just to see if you get the same message or if you can hear the fan running.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,865 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:44 PM

Yeah, you should have checked to see if your fan is running at the point that you saw that message.  I check mine almost every time I startup - because my laptop is old.  If you test it with the LiveOS don't run it long if no fan is running.  

I never leave mine plugged in much less be on 24/7, that is no good if that is what you are doing.  

I have used a laptop that was left on 24/7 and it would malfunction as a result and would get very hot!  Sometimes so hot that it would shut down.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 bmike1

bmike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

Nothing wrong with what you have said here. Power surges can cause damage. Shutting down improperly

as during a power failure can cause software and hardware malfunctions.

You might pop a Live DVD or flash drive in just to see if you get the same message or if you can hear the fan running.

I thought power-surge errors eould be immediate; not wait for me to reboot a couple of times.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:03 AM

Can you give us some of your laptop speccies? Such as pcpunk has done?

Wizard

#6 bmike1

bmike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 10:51 AM

sorry to have started this thread... I'm going to take it in.

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 20 September 2014 - 03:39 AM

Good luck in your mission! Do you think you can let us know what the outcome is/was? What the Techie at the other end diagnoses?

It all adds to the Knowledge Base around here.

Cheers

Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users