Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Possible New Gaming Build?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 errorx777

errorx777

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:26 PM

Hi everyone!, i recently had my old computer rig sitting around. I posted a forum about upgrading the motherboard, psu, and video card. But in the end, it might be easier just to make a new build, and keep my old one for a backup or let someone in the household use it.

Here are the specs for my new rig:

CPU: $60

950-_-Product

Motherboard: $40

PSU: $40

Product

GPU: $150

RAM: $76

Case: $45

Total: $411

Now I know what your saying, Wow! a pentium...really?, well heres the thing, i basically have a $400 spending limit. im already up to $411, so i think ill have to wait on getting an i5 for now haha. but that pentium should do the trick, maby not for multitasking, but atleast some gaming. what do you guys think? will it do the job for modern games?

Oh and by the way, i wont be using the 300W PSU that came with the case. Ill keep it just to have but ill use the 430W as listed above.

Edited by errorx777, 17 September 2014 - 09:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:59 AM

You are going to need an operating system.  Windows is about $100, or, you can use Linux if you really want to save some cash.  A Pentium will not do the trick if you're wanting to play modern games, old games maybe.

Another thing you can try is remove the GPU from the build and add it back in later when you have the resources for it.  In the interim, you can get a decent CPU that has a good GPU built-in.  The AMD A10-7850K paired with the GIGABYTE GA-F2A88XM-D3H motherboard could be an alternative.

3939.png

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:59 AM

Pentiums offer fine dual core performance for the money (so yes simpler or older games will do nicely on it) but it will likely struggle with titles optimised for multi-core systems.  I think it's probable that these are only going to get more common seeing as the consoles are now based around 8 core CPU's..

Here's a review of the Pentium G3258 (which has been of interest to enthusiasts because it's cheap and very overclock friendly..) benches it in various games.  The stock speed results is a reasonable proxy for the Pentium G3220 as they are almost the same.  It's surprisingly good really...

Edited by jonuk76, 18 September 2014 - 07:59 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 errorx777

errorx777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 04:41 PM

Well like i said, the Pentium is only temporary until i get the money for an i5. Ive used apu's for gaming, they are ok but most people say they arent as good as the dedicated graphics we have out now. and yes your right about the OS, i actually have a windows 7 disk here ill be using on it.  and to be honest it seems like the G3220 will do the trick. i mean i got the majority of the build from this : 

and it seems to run fine on modern games like titanfall. ive you YouTubed videos of people with the same gpu/cpu and they play watchdogs just fine as well..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users