Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dropping outbound packets

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 goofin

goofin

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:14 PM

My father moved to a different ISP.  He had no network issues with the previous ISP.

When he moved, I got his computer connected to the new ISP (RoadRunner).  At that same time, I removed some of the software he had installed including TrendMicro that his former ISP provided.  I installed AVG free to replace it.

He started complaining about his connection coming and going.  I also noticed this remotely via instant messenger because I could see him connecting and dropping every few seconds.

My method for reproducing the problem is to open a cmd and ping -t his gateway (default route).  There will be several successful pings in a row and then some "Request timed out" or "Destination Host Unreachable".  Often, the successful reponses immediately around these are very long -- seconds.

So, I started wireshark to watch what was happening during this test.  I can still see all the traffic on the other side of the NIC -- NETBIOS requests for who is, etc.  During the failed pings, wireshark doesn't see any outgoing requests.  This led me to believe it's some software on the machine blocking the outgoing requests.

I've removed AVG -- no change.  I've shutoff the firewall -- no change.  I tried a different NIC (the machine has two) -- no change.

When I reboot, I immediately start up a cmd window and ping and for quite a while it's fine and then the dropped packets start.  My father's user is non-privileged.  The privileged user sees the same problem.

I tried booting Knoppix, it doesn't have the problem.

I tried booting into Safe Mode with networking, it doesn't have the problem.

Any advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Richard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 goofin

goofin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:24 PM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the Vista installation is up to date -- there are no pending updates.

#3 goofin

goofin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:07 AM

Would someone please suggest a way to find out what programs are running whose output can be saved to a file.  In lieu of other suggestions, so far, I'm thinking of capturing that list while in safe mode with networking and comparing it to the list while in normal mode.

Other suggestions are craved.

Thanks,

Richard

#4 goofin

goofin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:54 PM

I decided to try upgrading my father's computer to Windows 7.  I brought the computer to my house and connected it to my network -- with which it had no problem connecting to the internet.  During the compatibility test, the installation aborted saying I had to remove Trend Micro Internet Security before trying the installation again.  I had already removed that software which was "required" by my father's previous ISP.  There was no trace of it under Control Panel.  Knowing that it was a perfect candidate for blocking internet access, I downloaded a removal tool from the Trend Micro website, ran it and removed the Trend Micro folder under Programs.  I decided to take the computer back to my father's house to see if the problem still existed (since I couldn't recreate the problem at my house).  The problem was resolved!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users