Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 8.1 - boot with no password ?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:59 PM

Brand new Packard Bell compact - I think an imedia S Series but I never looked - supplied by a major British retailer whose name is similar to a popular dish in an Indian Restaurant.

My acquaintance who just bought this asked me to come down and set it up for him. When I got there it required an access password. He is elderly and suffers from memory problems and had no idea. Trying everything he could come up with didn't work. Further, I couldn't find any reference to any password in their documentation.

I noticed also that the e-mail address listed above the password entry box is not his - similar but the ISP is different. The one on the log-in screen is @outlook.com while his is @btinternet.com.

While I would be inclined to dump this back on the supplier to sort out, which is almost certainly what he will do, I believe I know how to get round this problem if I have to, but my real question is -

Is it possible to set up a computer running 8.1 so that it will boot without any password at all ?

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:11 PM

Read this Chris...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-security/can-you-start-windows-81-without-a-password-or/17a04b1b-6561-4102-8be0-d2dcff7f6de4

Can you Recover the system back to factory for him? Nothing to lose I'm thinking and lots to gain.

You know it's done right... You did it!

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:11 PM

Hi Chris

I would believe so, I know I have my Windows 8 setup to go directly to Windows, Classic Shell actually.

In Fact from right here on BC By Grinler

How to sign in directly to the Windows 8.1 desktop

You might want to consider do You want the Windows 8 Interface or install Classic Shell.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:59 PM

When I got there it required an access password...

I noticed also that the e-mail address listed above the password entry box is not his - similar but the ISP is different. The one on the log-in screen is @outlook.com while his is @btinternet.com.

Sounds like someone returned this computer.  I would return it post haste.

Is it possible to set up a computer running 8.1 so that it will boot without any password at all ?

Yes, you can.  However, you would have to set up a Local account for him - not a Microsoft account.  Follow these instructions to set up a Local account.  Ignore the part about creating a Microsoft account with some silly name.

After that, setting Windows up to login without a password is no different from Windows 7.  See this article.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 5,949 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 09:01 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am currently putting a Win 8 recovery disc together and will then try to get in touch with him and sort this out.

I will report back !

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 5,949 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:33 PM

I have to admit that in the end I didn't go the no password route as he got hold of the password from his supplier. I suspect it is probably their default set up password but since this is a desktop accessed only by himself and his wife this is hardly a problem - and it is difficult to forget !

However the exercise has not been a total waste of my time - greater familiarity with the 8.1 OS and a perfectly good Win 8.1 recovery disc and memory stick !

Chris Cosgrove

#7 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 04:50 PM

Just a small side note, when you're setting up 8.1 and it comes to the MSC sign in page, they don't show the local account option on that page.

You have to hit "Create a new account" to get to the next page, where you'll find the local account option.

All is well in Paradise.

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 05:27 PM

...as he got hold of the password from his supplier. I suspect it is probably their default set up password...

That's odd in the extreme.  I have never heard of any supplier who pre-loads a password on computers they sell.  Something doesn't sound right.

#9 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 06:36 PM

It sounds strange when worded that way, but just as an example, I've helped clients open an MSC account (Hotmail, Live, Outlook) to sign into their Win 8 machines and access the store, etc.

Sure enough, one of them came back to me telling me he had forgotten the password, thinking that I would remember.

The point being, it could lead someone from the outside, to perceive it as me/my shop. putting a password on a client's machine.

All is well in Paradise.

#10 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 5,949 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 06:27 PM

The problem here is that we I was dealing with someone who is 84, give or take a few months, and suffering memory loss. He bought this computer from probably the UK's biggest retail dealer and as part of the deal they set it up with an MS account and put security and such like on it. To create an MS account requires a password and it would seem they used a default one and almost certainly told him what it was. He forgot. And unhappily, they didn't write it down anywhere in his documentation so I had no clue !

However, all is well that ends well ! He now has a nice working computer with all the software he needs on it, all updates done, and IE icons on the desktop for his bank account and e-mails.

All I have to do now is try to stop him clicking on every link in sight and downloading malware like it was going out of fashion. I feel a difficult relationship developing !

Chris Cosgrove

#11 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2014 - 07:01 PM

I doubt he needs a Microsort account.  A Local account would have done him well.

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 5,949 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:46 PM

Agouti, I couldn't agree more but he has one on this computer and, since the password problem has been resolved I see no point in confusing the issue and changing things again.

Had he not been able to obtain the password I would have set the computer up without one but he now knows what it is, I know what it is, so there shouldn't be any ore problems on that score - I hope,

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users