Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

start menu/all programs is blank

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alduin's Khajiit

Alduin's Khajiit

• Banned
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:57 PM

when I open my start menu on Windows 7 on my HP Pavilion a1423w and go to "all programs" it shows up blank! no folders no programs nothing. just a blank white space. Googling the problem only resulted in Windows XP help items (incl. Microsoft kb article) but nothing pertaining to Windows 7! how do I fix?

Edited by Alduin's Khajiit, 17 September 2014 - 03:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:07 PM

Maybe this will help you http://footyntech.wordpress.com/2011/08/22/empty-all-programs-start-menu-windows-7/

#3 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:17 PM

Is anything else missing?

Are all your files visible?

Task Manager opens OK?

All is well in Paradise.

#4 Alduin's Khajiit

Alduin's Khajiit
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:45 PM

yes everything is visible. files. task manager. etc

#5 Alduin's Khajiit

Alduin's Khajiit
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:48 PM

does not apply. that computer has very few programs installed in it hence very little amount of shortcuts. my Dell has like 3 times as many shortcuts than the computer with the problem

Edited by Alduin's Khajiit, 17 September 2014 - 04:49 PM.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:19 PM

I (and anyone else) can only go by what you tell us. We can search and find things that may or may not help and if they don't then we move on to trying to find other solutions.

Have you tried a system restore back to date to just before the problem began (if you know when you last saw everything listed)?

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:43 PM

does not apply. that computer has very few programs installed in it hence very little amount of shortcuts. my Dell has like 3 times as many shortcuts than the computer with the problem

That doesn't mean to say that it doesn't apply to you.  Instead of dismissing the suggestion outright have you tried it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users