Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft virtual wifi mini-port adapter.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:53 PM

When I try to enable a network app. listed in the properties of adapter(topic title)  it pops up a window that says "are you sure you want to disable this device". If the box is unchecked would that not mean it is already disabled?  I then try to uninstall the adapter and it says reboot is needed for this to take affect. When I reboot, another adapter is there in it's place. Why is this happening? 

Edited by bwrighttwo, 17 September 2014 - 03:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 03:31 AM

The virtual nic you are trying to disable is part fo the drivers of the real nic card in your system. The virtual nic allows you to connect to another wifi device or pc. There might be a way to disable it in the wifi nic's configuration settings.

#3 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 02:27 PM

Hmmm?   That makes sense as to my getting compromised. Any reason this would even be there. I have not added anything like that.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:13 PM

No it's not compromising your system It's totally normal to be there and is typically a hidden windows feature not many know about. You still would have to configure it to use it. SoftAP's are destroyed when the system is rebooted. Unless you create a batch file and add it to startup. Some wifi nics can still be connected to the internet and also serve as a SoftAP at the same time.

Example command...

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=myhotspot key=abc123 keyUsage=persistent

Edited by technonymous, 21 September 2014 - 10:14 PM.

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2014 - 10:25 PM

You can't disable the virtual wifi miniport from Device Manager. If you want to disable it, open a command prompt window and enter these two commands

netsh wlan stop hostednetwork

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users