Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am not even able to figure out what's wrong (Bios-Hdd)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Galaxystarr

Galaxystarr

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 PM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:55 PM

First of all system specs:

cpu: intel 3770k

gpu: sapphire hd7950

mobo: Pegatron ipx58 (probably never heard of it, a very crappy chinese one)

8gigs of ram, corsair 650 psu

This is gonna be long so forgive me. 

At first, my computer had no problems. Occasional (maybe once a week) bsod's mostly becaue i am using a ps3 controller and it's driver creates some problems. One day, i open up my computer and everything is super slow. It was like it didn't even want to run. Then i tried to reboot it, after a couple of times, it turned our okay. Browsed reddit a little bit then shut it down.

Then i opened it again after couple hours. Didn't work. Got some booting issues. I thought i'd troubleshoot tomorrow (which is today) than went to bed.

Now, here is the deal. At first, i got booting problems that would point a faulty hdd or windows installation. Missing operating system, windows failed to start, 0x000000e9 and so on. Sometimes it went into windows repair but even though i am using w7, it opened up windows 8's repair menu. I assume it's from a w7-w8 dual boot i had a while ago that i deleted from my pc.  Nothing seemed to worked there. Now that menu doesn't even come up. So i thought i might give formatting a try and tried to go into bios to change boot priority to usb. Couldn't enter the bios. Tried every key, nothing worked. It gave me this CASPER logo which is my computer manufacturer. I am not sure if it's my pc's startup image or my monitors (it's casper too) (casper is a manufacturer in turkey) 

I got too hopeless that i tried pulling the cmos battery out. Waited about 10 min. Started it to only see the screen that says "press this to go into setup, press that to do this" for a second. I pressed all the buttons and nothing couldn't get me into bios. Then casper sign again. Then nothing. I restarted it, it didn't bring up that screen, just casper sign again.

So i tried resetting bios 2 more times. 3rd time, the screen that tells me what to press to enter the bios stuck there a while so i pressed the buttons. I went into bios. First, i checked boot priority tab. There was only one item and that was SATA sm (or sd) no mention of hdd. So i thought it couldn't detect hdd but then i googled sata to find out it is the port hdd gets plugged in. (i remember bios clearly saying hdd though)

I had nothing to do there so i reset my computer, plugged my usb stick to see if i can access bios again and change my boot priority, casper sign all over again.

At this point, when i normally open my computer, it just says windows failed to start, a recent hardware or software change might be the cause. 

File: Boot\bcd

info: the windows boot configuration data file does not contain a valid OS entry.

I know my writing skill is poor. If you got confused anywhere just ask me.

If you guys can figure this out, i'll be forever in your debt. 

(i will be able to check answers till midnight which is about 1 hour. I will come back tomorrow as soon as i can. So sorry if i can't return to you and please don't stop assisting thinking my problem got fixed or i am not interested anymore.)

Thank you

-Enes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:00 PM

I would install a new CMOS battery...your symptoms seem to point in that direction.

After installing it...go into the BIOS and reset the date/time data and reset your boot device settings, ensuring that the hard drive is the first option.  Save all changes by hitting F10.

Let us know the results.

Louis

#3 Galaxystarr

Galaxystarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:17 PM

I would install a new CMOS battery...your symptoms seem to point in that direction.

After installing it...go into the BIOS and reset the date/time data and reset your boot device settings, ensuring that the hard drive is the first option.  Save all changes by hitting F10.

Let us know the results.

Louis

I did what you told me and got a new cmos battery. Now it is stuck on this screen.

http://imgur.com/3TR6NHg

Edit: I'd like to point out "cmos checksum bad"

Edited by Galaxystarr, 19 September 2014 - 01:26 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:34 PM

Press F1 to run Setup and then set your BIOS setting to default. Save your settings and reboot.

#5 Galaxystarr

Galaxystarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 01:49 PM

I am sorry i should've been more clear. When i say it's stuck, i literally mean it's stuck. Either it's frozen or it doesn't detect my keyboard because pressing any of the mentioned buttons does nothing.

Edited by hamluis, 19 September 2014 - 04:43 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:06 PM

Try powercycling the computer. Shut down the computer. Remove the power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power cord and reboot.

If that does not work, there should be a jumper on the motherboard near the CMOS battery to clear CMOS. I could not find anything on this particular motherboard.

If you have more than one RAM module. Remove one and see if the computer boots normally. Switch RAM modules and also slots using one RAM module at a time.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 September 2014 - 02:07 PM.

#7 Galaxystarr

Galaxystarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:36 PM

I did all of the mentioned above and got the same result.

I'd like to point out that at the picture above (http://imgur.com/3TR6NHg) it says 1 mice under the usb controllers but the fact is that i don't have my mouse hooked up to the computer. It gets interesting because when i noticed this i thought this screen must be an image not a proper functioning screen. Well, i tried unplugging cd rom and sata port 2 said not installed, hooked up a usb stick and in the devices, there was a "1 mass". This tells me it's a functioning menu and i feel like there is something wrong with the keyboard as i've had bios problems with it before. For example once i had to hold 2 buttons to browse in bios. my keyboard wouldn't work in bios so i'd press and hold down a and s buttons, and normally use arrow keys or function keys with my other fingers. It doesn't have to be a and s though, any two independent button worked

Edited by hamluis, 19 September 2014 - 04:43 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:01 PM

Do you have a spare keyboard? Does the motherboard have a PS2 port you can attach an old keyboard to?

#9 Galaxystarr

Galaxystarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:05 PM

My mobo doesn't have a ps2 port and i don't have a spare keyboard but if you think my keyboard is the key, i could get a cheap one tomorrow. Waiting for your answer

Edited by hamluis, 19 September 2014 - 04:42 PM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:17 PM

There is a chance it could be a keyboard issue but I can't be 100% on that. If you cannot access the BIOS setting and everything is stuck then I would say it's a good chance it is the keyboard. What computer are you using to post to this thread? Is is a laptop? Have you tried switching the keyboard to a different USB port?

You could try downloading a small linux distro like Puppy, burn the iso and see if you can at least get it to boot with keyboard control but I doubt it would work if you can't access BIOS with the keyboard.

#11 Galaxystarr

Galaxystarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:28 PM

I am using an iPod to write this but i have a laptop lying around.

I've tries plugging in the usb to a bunch of ports including the ones that came with my tower and the ones that are directly on my mobo.
Getting a spare keyboard is not a problem by me, i am just afraid i might not get the same assist from you since you might not be around tomorrow so i am trying to cover as much ground as i can before leaving the matter to me buying a keyboard.

Edited by hamluis, 19 September 2014 - 04:41 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:31 PM

I should be around tomorrow. The problem I see is if the keyboard does not work, I would not know what else to do. If the computer is still frozen at the BIOS screen with a new keyboard then I think we would be looking at a motherboard problem.

#13 Galaxystarr

Galaxystarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:42 PM

When i got a new gpu and a psu, a lot of people told me that mobo is not gonna hold on for long. I have no problem with getting a new mobo, and even a hdd if it's necessary.

Of course we should consider the keyboard first. I will get my hands on a keyboard tomorrow and notify you about the results. Thank you so far for what you have done :)

Edited by hamluis, 19 September 2014 - 04:42 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:44 PM

Your welcome and feel free to post back any additional questions if you need to. Hopefully it is just a keyboard. Another thing to check if you are looking at a new motherboard would be the PSU.

#15 Galaxystarr

Galaxystarr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:24 AM

Your welcome and feel free to post back any additional questions if you need to. Hopefully it is just a keyboard. Another thing to check if you are looking at a new motherboard would be the PSU.

The good news is, my keyboard was the problem, got a new one and it works ok. The bad news is my keyboard wasn't the only problem. I noticed that sometimes boot screen doesn't recognise my hdd because it says sata 2: not connected or something like that. I tried a w7 installation disc and got into some of the features but i noticed in w7 repair tool i couldn't find my hdd anywhere. Tried to install a new windows, i can't choose where to install because there is no hdd. Opened cmd and tried to go into c: , it said there is no such directory. As i am writing this down and booting my computer, it recognizes my hdd without a fail and it feels like to me (and this is a complete assumption) whenever my pc is trying to access it, it shuts itself down. I can feel it's working because when i touch it i can feel it's vibrating.

It looks like it's time to get a new hdd. What are your thoughts on this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users