Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot use file browsers of any kind

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tommy Wylie

Tommy Wylie

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:34 PM

Hello, I am new to this site. I have been setting up a Windows XP computer which was given to me recently. I intend to use it for storing and recording music on. I have installed a SATA card, extra hard drives and a Creative Audigy sound card. All was going well until a few days ago. Suddenly after opening My Computer I got the error "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close". Since then I have had this error every time I try to access the file system. Using any other file browser gives me the same error. I cannot use My Computer, Windows Explorer, or any other 3rd party file manager.

I saw on another site the advice to run sfc /scannow and was told I'd be prompted to put the Windows CD in. However when I ran sfc /scannow, the blue line ran to the end and no such prompt appeared.

The computer had been out of use for some time, and AVG had not been updated for a year. I did a big update and a full scan, and cleaned the system thoroughly of undesirable material. I also ran the KB Malicious Software Removal Tool from Microsoft. It found nothing bad.

When attempting to change my picture in "users" I got the error "Microsoft ® HTML Application host has encountered a problem and needs to close". On the Microsoft site I found the advice "To resolve this problem, click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 mshtml.dll, and then click OK two times." I did that, but the error has persisted. I have a suspicion the two errors may be linked.

The system was still on SP2, so I have now installed SP3 and rebooted, but the error is still there. All applications still seem to work, but file browsing crashes Windows. I tried disconnecting all other hard drives except the primary master, but it has not made a difference. I am baffled by this problem. It seems such a small error yet I don't know where it is occurring so I don't know where and how to fix it. icon_rolleyes.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tommy Wylie

Tommy Wylie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:03 PM

Well, I hope I'm not being overly optimistic here, but it appears I've fixed it!

Yes! You read that correctly! icon_razz.gif

I was looking at a list of disc/file system testing software on the site "nonags.com", and my attention was drawn to the entry about "Aurionix FileUsage", which I had installed on the rogue computer (before it became a rogue computer). I suddenly thought... if Aurionix is meant to blend in with Windows Explorer (to give extra columns with extra file info) then I can easily see how it could cause a conflict. I know it shouldn't, but I thought, anything that attaches to Windows Explorer is a likely culprit if Windows Explorer fails.

I have decided to leave my post above in case anyone else has the same problem.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:02 PM

Glad you have it sorted, and I assume your fix was to uninstall Aurionix - you didn't actually spell that out

Chris Cosgrove

#4 Tommy Wylie

Tommy Wylie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 06:58 PM

Oops, yes in my haste I forgot to point out that I uninstalled Aurionix. That was the clincher. My XP installation now functions as it should.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users