Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Template for Buying New Computer: Need to replace PC with XP operating system

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 boncon

boncon

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:11 PM

Thanks. I am job searching. Desperately need to replace Dell Latitude 830 PC with XP OS.  Can be desktop (limited space),or PC, 
prefer WIN 7, and must have Microsoft Work/Excel/Pwrpt

Template:

Price:                                       No more than $500, preferably between $350 and $400

Primary use:                            Personal, email, web use, iTunes, streaming movies/TV

Software:                                 Windows 7 preferred/ need Microsoft Office elements, Word/Excel/PowerPoint

Games:                                    Mostly facebook games, occasionally download from something like PopCap or Big Fish
                                                Often run multiple programs at once

What I store:                            Not sure what “a lot” is for music/photo storage  Maybe 100 songs on iTunes right now,more
                                                        podcasts, downloaded audiobooks
                                                 500 photos max at this time

Overclocking                           None that I am aware of ever

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices:  Not sure what that means I am in Philadelphia if that is the answer…

Monitors:                                 I had been given a refurbed desktop with Win7, and really enjoy the 19 inch monitor. The                                                         computer is a mess, been "repaired 2x, the tower replaced, still a mess. I want to buy new.
                                               I would be happy again with a laptop ( but would like the option of hooking t up to the larger                                                               monitor for  streaming video content if possible)

Do you need peripherals? OS?      I have one simple printer, one Photosmart All-in-One PSC, a webcam used infrequently,
                                                       camera, IPOD, nothing more exotic

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?  as stated above, I need to replace my XP OS  AND get Microsoft Word/Excel/PP.  I have                                                                                      been unemployed for 10 months so I need to get something new ASAP.  

I had done some research but at a point it gets contradictory and/or confusing.  Was looking at an ACER I really thought would do it, but then 
I noticed that it said Notebook and I definitely wanted at least a full laptop

Thanks for any help.

Edited by boncon, 17 September 2014 - 02:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:39 PM

Desktop: Dell Inspiron 3847
Laptop: Inspiron 15 3542

I actually recently purchased the Inspiron laptop and use it as my main work computer. Dell is great because they still sell new computers with Windows 7, it's difficult to find Win 7 on a new computer, especially in retail stores. Also, Dell computers are generally marketed towards business users, so they aren't loaded with extra unnecessary features and have very little junk programs pre-installed. Just my opinion anyways. Either of those two machines will be more than capable to handle your usage.

AKAIK, new computers don't "come with Office" anymore like they used to. You can purchase Office with the computer, but it's not a bundle. Someone here will correct me if I'm wrong.

What type of video connections does your 19" monitor have? The laptop above only has HDMI, so if it's an older monitor that only has VGA you wouldn't be able to connect it. If your monitor has DVI-D or DVI-I you can buy a cheap adapter to go from HDMI to DVI. DVI-A is not compatible with HDMI however. 

-- Matt

#3 boncon

boncon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:19 PM

Matt,

Thanks for the direction. I am getting close to finding what I need and your response really helped.

Thanks again,

Boncon

#4 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:25 PM

If you still have the install disks for MS Office (plus the MS product key), you should be able to simply uninstall it from your old Windows XP system, then reinstall it on your planned, new Windows 7 system.

Before uninstalling MS Office, though, recommend you first backup all of your Word, Excel, Powerpoint data files, just to be safe.

If you do not have the original MS Office install disks and can't afford to purchase a replacement copy, you might want to explore some of the 3rd party, free, office compatible software, such as Open Office.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users